1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can eggs be to hard for chicks to hatch out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommaofchickens, Oct 16, 2015.

1. mommaofchickens

mommaofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Parks Arizona
    So I just got done with my first incubation and I put in about 5 of my Chickens eggs. She happens to lay some very hard eggs and when I did an egg toppsy it was so so hard for me to pip the egg as a chick would. so my question is, is it something that happens often? can a certain chickens eggs just be to hard to use for incubation.

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

A chicks ability to peck the pip hole is very good, I doubt you have eggs that are too hard for them...

Also you can't exactly pip like a chick does as you don't fit in the egg ;) Honestly though, creating a hole from the inside out is easier than from the outside in...

3. mommaofchickens

mommaofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Parks Arizona
    well that's great news!!! I would love to have another go at hatching her eggs. Like I said it's my first time incubating eggs, but its such good news

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by