Can electirc fence hurt chickens?

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
I want to hook my electric fense unit to my chicken run pen, to keep any predators out during the day.

Sence the chicken will be able to get at it, will it kill them if it shocks them?

The pen is 24x12x4 and they unit plugs into the wall and it says its good for 32miles.

Can I do this?

~Bryan

Sure. I have electric twine around my run and the chickens get zapped every once in awhile. No problem so far. I have a charger rated for 50 miles of fence. Puts out about 20,000 volts. I would think if a charger was going to kill a chicken, that ought to do it.
tongue.png

Quote:
I've had a coyote get tangled in the hot wire of my pasture fence, when it didn't quite jump high enough to clear it. Must have told its friends, because it is the only coyote I've seen inside my fence in the last 6 years and we have plenty of coyotes around here. Works great on dogs and cats too. Just ask my pets. They don't want anything to do with chickens anymore.
wink.png

My problem was dogs and a coon. I got to watch both get shocked. I haven't had a dog or coon problem since. Mine is outside of the run and coop about 5 or 6 inches from the fence and about 5 or 6 inches from the ground. My electric fence is rated for 15 acres.
Good luck

My fence charger is 15 Joules, rated for 200 miles, and puts out 8000 volts.

The chickens just walk a little faster when they go through it , but NOTHING else will go through it more than once

Back
Top Bottom