Can Golden Phoenix Roo mate with my standard sized hens?

Jayare's Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Aug 25, 2007
Florence, Alabama
Well I thought I had 3 roos in my mix of 11 chickies, but now I'm not sure. I definatly have a Golden Phoenix cockeral and thought I had 1 Black Australorp and 1 Red Sex Link cockeral but now I'm not sure on these other two. All these chickies are about 9 or 10 weeks old now and only my Phoenix is crowing. One of my Red Sex Links is White and has some black barring in his/her tail and body but it's comb is not what I would expect if it was a roo. Same with the comb on my Australorp that I thought was a roo.

So if my white chickie that I thought was a sex link roo is not a roo what could it be since it is white? (pretty sure it's not a leghorn)

So my question is can my Phoenix mate with these other hens that are standard size? If not I don't need to seperate my chickies as soon as I had planned come early spring so I'll have extra time to get my other coop built.

I plan on getting about 10 each of Orphingtons and EE's this spring and will get at least 1 roo for each of those breeds, and then I was planning on building another coop so my Phoenix' are in a coop by themselves. These 11 chickens will be laying/mating age by March and my Orphs & EE's won't be laying/mating age till about the end of August.

Does any of this make sense?

Jayare

It's like asking if a male midget can mate with a grown woman. Where theres a will theres a way. Unless hes way smaller then then hens then yes he can. Even if you have a bantam nature surprises us at times.....

Bubba

PS VERY VERY hard to tell you anything about youre birds without pictures. There a MANY white species of birds. If it doesnt look like a leghorn, I would guess white rock would be the next most common. It could be alot of things thou.

Yes. I hatched four chicks from the union of a Silver Phoenix Rooster and Barred Rock hens. The three cockerels were ghosty barred, almost like BR pullets, but with longer tails, and the female was solid black.

Phoenix aren't that small, unless he's a bantam. They are lighter for sure. My Phoenix Roo handles my Australorp and all the big girls just fine.

LOL Yeah they aren't that small at all, especially not in their little heads! They have no trouble covering large standard hens. The other way - large standard roo over a small standard hen - can cause injury to the hen however.

OK, thanks for the replys. I tried to upload a couple of pics on photobucket to post here but my stupid dial up was just taking way too long. Maybe if I take this laptop somewhere later in the week to a place where I can pick up a wi fi hot spot I can get a couple of pics posted.

We just bought a house out in the country and dial up is the only option for internet so far. I can't wait till they get some other options out this way next year.

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom