can guinea hatch chicken eggs?

jacob04

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2015
I have 2 female guinea that are a couple years old. One of my sweet girls has gone broody. I marked 4 chicken eggs and she has been sitting on them for a few days. Has anyone ever done this? What can I expect? Ive incubated eggs before but never had any hatch in the coop. We have a mixed flock of 8 pekin ducks, 10 chickens and 2 guinea girls left. They free range in the day and coop up at night.

No personal experience, but I have read that chicken hens can be used to hatch guinea eggs--so it would probably work OK the other way around, too.

You wouldn't want both kinds of eggs under the same hen at once, because chicken eggs hatch sooner than guinea eggs; but I can't think of any other issues to be concerned about.

No personal experience, but I have read that chicken hens can be used to hatch guinea eggs--so it would probably work OK the other way around, too.

You wouldn't want both kinds of eggs under the same hen at once, because chicken eggs hatch sooner than guinea eggs; but I can't think of any other issues to be concerned about.
Thanks, we don't have a male guinea , so she's only laying on chicken eggs. I'm EGGcited to see how this goes!

Is the hen locked in a coop/pen? While she may well hatch the chicks, if she is allowed to free range the chicks won't last long. They don't make good mothers. They range far and wide, and at a pretty high speed, the chicks won't be able to do it. Most of the Guinea keets can't either.

Back
Top Bottom