Can guineas get worms?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chickens~galore, Oct 28, 2009.

1. chickens~galore

chickens~galore Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    My neighbor gave me a guinea and this is my first guinea i have ever owned so i dont know much about them. So I was just wondering if someone could give me a little information about them. My biggest question right now is do they get worms? Do i need to worm them like chickens? If so, then with what?

Chickens~Galore

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Any animal can get worms yes even humans. I wouldn't worry about it unless you really notice a problem. I have never wormed any of our chickens or the few Guineas we have and have never lost one to worms.

3. Round worms, just like chickens. I worm the crowd (Giuneas and Chickens) when the weather turns nasty and cold. They are usually hanging in the barn by then and I just go a round of Wazine. It is a safe and easy way to get it done.

I look for worms after this and repeat if necessary. I ONLY do it ONCE a year now.

I used to do it in the spring, but I gave it up.

4. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Do you give the Wazine to each individual bird or can you just put it in their waterer??

5. Quote:That's the beauty of it.

I usually keep two 2 gallon galvenized waterers going. When I worm, I use just one waterer and I KNOW they are all gettting a drink. I keep the waterer "hot" for about 3 days.

Just follow the direction on the lable of the wazine bottle. It is OK if they get too much over the three days. Avoid having little ones drink from it. I put up my chicks less than 5 weeks old. they are usually in the nursery anyhow, but I do get a few broodies that manage to hatch out a few in the fall.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That worming should be repeated in 10 days as that is the life cycle of round worms. Gotta kill the hatchlings.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by