Can hens be washed?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
Probably a silly question but.......my white delawares sometimes roost under the others and become stained. I would like to have some advise on washing chickens if it would not be harmful, Do they like showers? Is washing an important part of their care? I can't seem to find this in any of my books.....thank you for your responses.
Anne

* My white hen gets a bath once a month in the bathroom sink. She LOVES getting blow-dryed after the bath. Use a few drops of baby shampoo in water warmer than your hands. It usually takes two towels to get the excess water off, then blow-dry on MEDIUM and keep the dryer MOVING!! Also, I found that if I leave mine even slightly damp, the very first thing she does outside is take a full-blown dirt bath!!!
hmm.png

Show birds get bathed. Just make sure to blow dry them because chickens aren't truly meant to be walking around wet - they don't have that oily protection like a duck.

Just a note on your roosts - typically most chickens with higher status will glom onto the highest perch available. The lower ranking birds will be stuck with what is left over. To avoid fights - and to avoid the lower birds being pooped upon constantly - change your roosts around so no birds are underneath another bird. Ideally, all perches are best at the same height to avoid fights. But at the very least - avoid overlaps so nobody gets pooped on.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I have been thinking about adding another roosting bar, as they seem a bit crowded and one of the delawares is getting picked neck, so your advice is quite welcome.
Anne

If one of your girls is getting her neck picked - you might want to do something to keep it from getting worse.

I haven't used it - but some of the people on the forum paint any bare / red patch with Blue Kote wound dressing. The idea is that chickens will keep pecking at anything red (it's just their nature) and the blue isn't something they'll pick on - plus it supposedly tastes bad. Either that, or take her out until she heals so they don't make a wound bigger, etc.

Sometimes they pick because they're bored, too. Some chicken folks suggest hanging up green veggies (lettuce, head of cabbage, broccoli, etc) from strings in their coop so they have something else to pick on. Others have used a big suet block like you give to wild birds. Either way, it entertains them, keeps them pecking the right things, and makes them forget about pecking on their sisters.
smile.png

Hope that helps!

Hi Anne!

We give our hens baths often. Especially our internal layer. She has yolk on her behind fluff all the time. Ours seem to really enjoy it. We have one of those laundry room sinks and we fill it with warm water and they seem to love the soak. It is important to blow dry and to keep the dryer moving as someone else has already said. It cracks me up how they will just stand still for it. Hope this helps. Blessings, Suz

Well, some questions have been answered for me. I have separated this particular delaware in a small crate in the coop for the last couple of nights to allow her neck feathers to grow back. I also am using a product called "peck no More" on her neck to repel anyone who pecks at her although it has not seemed to help very much. So I separated her physically but kept her with the others. I do believe she is the bottom of the pecking order. Anything else I can do?

I just love coming here and getting this help. Hi Suz......loved hearing from you.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom