Can hens crow

deidreschultz

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I know this is a bizarre question, but can hens crow.
I bought 8 chicks at the same time. 2 rir, 4 unkowns, and 2 silkies.
All but silkies were supposed to be hens even paid double price to ensure got hens. My rir name Edward and Bella (twilight) Ed got his comb and wattles (i think that's what they are) the little red dangley things below the beak. That's when we knew we got 1 rooster. Then Bella crowed yesterday morning. She does have wattles, but much smaller than Ed's. They did come alot latter than his too. We thought for sure she was a hen.The unkowns are just starting to get theirs. Then the silkies named Turkolou and pebbles. Turk has a comb and wattles Pebbles has no comb and much smaller wattles. So again thought for sure 1 each. They both crowed this morning. I will try to take pictures when I get home. I love them all, but I don't think 4 boys to 4 girls is going to work. Can you neuter chickens and at what age? I would really like to keep them all. They will be 13 weeks old this week.

Last edited:
In my experience it is always difficult to keep more than one rooster unless they are housed apart or very docile. Mine always fought and I would end up giving away new cocks and just sticking with one. As for hens crowing, hens can crow and the only time I have personally experienced this is the times when I haven't had a rooster. Then one of the hens will adopt a dominant role and crow sometimes. I haven't heard of a hen crowing when there are plenty of roosters around but who knows?

Yes, hens can crow, and grow spurs, too.

But, chances are, if it is a real, full blown crow, it is a roo.

Back
Top Bottom