Can hens die from not laying eggs?

sittinghenlove

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
From what I understand, if an egg gets caught internally and the hen can't "lay" it, this can be deadly. Is this correct? How long would it take to actually kill the hen? For instance, my hens lay in the early afternoon. If I see them in the morning, at dawn and then not again until 5pm could they die in that time span? How would I know if an egg is stuck?

It's usually not that quick. A hen who is egg bound will generally act like she has a problem. She will sit in the box, trying to lay an egg or she may keep returning to the nest to try to lay. If you suspect this you can feel her underside, below the vent and see if you feel an egg stuck just inside. Or glove up, use a little KY and check inside the vent to see if you feel an egg. If so sometimes soaking the hens bottom in warm water and lubricating the vent can help pass the egg.

If a hen stops laying due to internal laying or other egg laying issues there is little you can do about it. A hen who is laying internally can do so for a long time, even a year or more. They eventually develop problems with egg yolk peritonitis and ascites. And then sometimes it progresses quickly and they die within weeks. I've had it go both ways.

And her reaction when I pick her up and my husband feels for an egg will be pleasant and she will thank me after???? Or should I wear oven mits and 4 sweatshirts?

lol.... I am going through the same thing right now!! And my husband isn't home. So I did it myself with her in my bathtub. She was surprised, but she didn't try to kill me! No egg though.. all I got was poo. Good luck!

And her reaction when I pick her up and my husband feels for an egg will be pleasant and she will thank me after???? Or should I wear oven mits and 4 sweatshirts?
Lol, well she won't appreciate it but you should come out of it ok!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom