Can hens eat old shrimp?

Fluffnut

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
North Carolina
I know they can eat shrimp, but can they eat some that may be bad? It's a bit old and slimy, but it doesn't smell yet. At least, as far as I can tell- I personally don't like shrimp :sick

I know they can eat shrimp, but can they eat some that may be bad? It's a bit old and slimy, but it doesn't smell yet. At least, as far as I can tell- I personally don't like shrimp :sick
I personally wouldn't. I don't feed my chickens anything that is moldy, slimy , smelly or discolored. I feed stale bread or cereal but nothing like that. Perhaps if you cooked it first? If it's raw that is...

I personally wouldn't. I don't feed my chickens anything that is moldy, slimy , smelly or discolored. I feed stale bread or cereal but nothing like that. Perhaps if you cooked it first? If it's raw that is...
Thanks! It's cooked, but I guess I could boil it or something..? I know what you mean, though. You're probably right :D

I sure wouldn't risk it! I figure chicken food is way cheaper than sick dying chickens and vet bills. :rolleyes: Just my opinion though. If you give it to them make sure and let us know how it went. We are always wanting to learn things.
Good point! Our sick cat is already pricey enough :rolleyes:

No.
You are what you eat.
You are what your chickens eat.
Chickens are not garbage disposals.
Thank you. I couldn't tell if it was good or bad or what? I never eat shrimp. Sorry if I came across like my birds were trashcans- they are my pets! I'll go toss that shrimp! :)
Edit: In the garbage- just to be clear. Not to the birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom