Can Hens Get Clogged Up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ramblin Rose, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose New Egg

Mar 10, 2008
    I have 3 young hens, bought them last year (spring), and I have one older hen laying and one younger hen sitting, but not laying and the other young hen is just watching with amusement as the other two fight for the same spot. I thought I had heard at one time that sometimes they get clogged up and you have to unclog them. Has anyone else heard of this malady? The other hen seems like she's bulging and needs to lay. And yes, I do have a rooster, bought at the same time.

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    yes, in a way. She could be egg-bound. Do a little research on it and see if it fits your hen. I hope she's just waiting! [​IMG]

3. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

The only time i had a hen egg bound was when put in a cage (and she wasn't used to a cage).

I wouldn't worry about a hen waiting for a free nest. Wild birds hold the egg untill the coast is clear to go drop it in the nest. (before sitting on a clutch)

Bert

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    It's best to call a professional when dealing with clogged hens. I use these guys....

[​IMG]

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Did you make that, RacingTeam?

6. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    My family thinks I am nuts, sitting here laughing!![​IMG]

7. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Quote:Of course not. I looked them up in the Yellow Pages. They came just before ROTO ROOTER ad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by