Can hens lay itty bitty eggs?

Dracoonfly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
I'm not talking about small, I'm talking about quail-sized. I found it under my Silkie and at first assumed it came from her as a second egg for the day. She had already laid an egg first thing in the morning. However, she's broody and could just be sitting on someone else's egg. Also, it's much darker than the normal Silkie egg so now I'm wondering if one of my other girls laid a mini-egg. All my other hens are standard size. The picture is of the Silkie's egg beside the mini-egg. Has anyone ever seen this?

33351_tiny_egg_001.jpg

Fart egg (or wind egg, for the socially sensitive). Just a glitch at the egg factory and nothing to worry about
smile.png

33099_eggs_003.jpg

The tiny egg was from my Mille Fluer D'uccle. The other eggs are a Standard Polish, Bantams Sultan and Cochins, so you can see how tiny her egg was, dove sized. She layed 2 of these super tiny eggs and is now laying a larger egg, although still smaller than the others' in the flock

My chicken laid two eggs, one yesterday and one today...yesterdays egg is tiny and todays egg is large....! The little one has a super dark brown shell with spots and the other one is a light tan color without spots.... Can't tell if either egg has a yolk or not. Guess we shall see what happens right?
hu.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Yep, lots of interesting eggs to see from a backyard flock. I like the unusual ones myself.
smile.png

Awwww...the little eggs are cute! I found one a while back, put it in the incubator but it wasn't fertile.
sad.png

At least the hen got a break from the regular ones.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom