Can hens who don’t lay go broody?

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
I’m currently hatching eggs in the incubator, and would like to try a more natural approach to raising the chicks. I’ve got a couple of old hens who no longer lay very often, and wonder if they could go broody and adopt chicks. This way I can trust old experienced hens to look after chicks and not impact my egg production by using younger hens. Also, could they both live alongside each other with their nests of chicks, or would they become too protective?

I don’t know exactly, but they are at least four years old and don’t lay, could I still encourage them to go broody with dummy eggs, or will they realised that they don’t lay and not bother with them?

I’m currently hatching eggs in the incubator, and would like to try a more natural approach to raising the chicks. I’ve got a couple of old hens who no longer lay very often, and wonder if they could go broody and adopt chicks. This way I can trust old experienced hens to look after chicks and not impact my egg production by using younger hens. Also, could they both live alongside each other with their nests of chicks, or would they become too protective?

I don’t know exactly, but they are at least four years old and don’t lay, could I still encourage them to go broody with dummy eggs, or will they realised that they don’t lay and not bother with them?
Have they been broody before? They aren't likely to start now if they haven't before. Just my opinion.

That would depend on the hens. Sometimes they can get along fine. Other times they don't. You can trial it but be ready to intervene.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Older, non laying who have previously been broody will sometimes go broody. Whether or not you can cause them to go broody is another matter.

Have they been broody before? They aren't likely to start now if they haven't before. Just my opinion.

That would depend on the hens. Sometimes they can get along fine. Other times they don't. You can trial it but be ready to intervene.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
They’ve never gone broody for me but I can’t say the same for their previous owner. They are really good friends and spend all their time together, so I’m hoping they should get in fine.

Have you ever had a hen go broody? "Forgetting" to pick eggs could tip a hen that has a tendency to go broody to do just that, but leaving a few eggs lying around is not going to automatically cause most hens to go broody. When I have a broody hen raise chicks it is when she decides not me.

Have you ever had a hen go broody? "Forgetting" to pick eggs could tip a hen that has a tendency to go broody to do just that, but leaving a few eggs lying around is not going to automatically cause most hens to go broody. When I have a broody hen raise chicks it is when she decides not me.
I have before, but because I’ve purposely left they eggs she’s laid in the nest for her, as well as adding others. But like you say, I’m not really sure if I could encourage her by just leaving a few without her already actively laying her own.

Yes, it is quite possible.
Check out the lady in New Zeland’s posts on
You Tube she has an aged hen who broods for her.
Regards…

Back
Top Bottom