Can humidity be too high during hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Nov 4, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I had my humidity at 75% at the beginning of lockdown, but all day today it has been 85%-93% because chicks are hatching. Is it okay for the unpipped ones that the humidity is this high??

I have 15 that were candled on day 17 and viable that haven't externally pipped yet.

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    It is normal for the humidity to rise during hatching. Are the chicks hatching very wet?

3. chickenmadnessainmind

chickenmadnessainmind Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Personally, I hatch at about 50-55% humidity. It does raise 5-10% during hatching. 70 ish is a little high. [​IMG]

5. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Holy. Crap.

Are you telling me I probably drowned my guys?!?!?! I candled them the day of lockdown and had 27 chickies inside. Humidity at lockdown was about 70-75% until yesterday when they began hatching... and I could have drowned the remaining 16 right at the end??

I think I am going to be sick. [​IMG]

6. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I think I just drowned mine too.Had 10 eggs at lockdown at 55 % humidity it jumped to 60 when two hatched they were dry 3 was sticky wet. Gave it a day candled and they looked strange so I opened the top and saw it looked like the inner had shrink wrapped them peeled back and they were fully developed heads were down tucked under wings but a thick slimy gel like over the remaining 7 some did have more fluid in them then others just made me sick really worried I am going to mess up the other incubator now, had 15 shipped eggs at day 12, 14 are developing totally awesome for me... Now I hope I can hatch them..

7. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh no I just read this and now Im freaking out! Should I stop adding water to my incubator? I means my eggs are growing but Im afraid Im adding to much water! [​IMG] [​IMG] HELP! [​IMG]

8. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Seriously. I am ill.

I know all of these guys were alive and kickin' at lockdown.

I had 11 of the 27 hatch yesterday and today. Then, NOTHING since this afternoon. 16 chicks... and not just any chicks.... GREAT ones.

I told our homeschool class that even though we candled them, some may not hatch.... but I don't want to tell them it was my fault! Ugh. Seriously. My gut hurts. [​IMG]

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have had eggs hatch fine . temp at 100 and humidity at 70-80 percent. eggs didnt drown. soo far all hatched perfectly. i leave them in two days after lockdown. just in case of late hatchers. im sure ur chicks are. mine didnt start doing anything till day due to hatch and after. i never saw rocking or heard chirping till hatch day. and even them some of my eggs never chirped till they were out of the egg.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  10. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I keep my humidity at 65-70% during hatching. I freak out if it gets even close to 50%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by