Can humming birds be a pest, or more?

hearthwench

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Northern Idaho
I am very new to keeping chickens, so have no clue to what can be a huge boo-boo.
smile.png

Our hummingbirds are starting to show up. We usually have 3 or 4 feeders around the house. They keep the mosquitoes at bay during the warmer months. Where the chicken coop, (being built), will go, the feeders normally hang on the trees right next to the to-be chicken coop.

Can the hummingbirds be a pest? Or spread disease? Or is it better to move the hummingbird's feeders to a different area?

Thanks for any input! I want to keep my girls safe.

Debbi

welcome-byc.gif

I can't imagine that they could be a problem. Keep the feeders where they are, and thanks for the reminder! It's about time for my hummingbirds to show up, too.
smile.png

Thanks! I read something about putting wild bird feeders far away from the chickens. Hummingbirds are not quite the same I would think, but was not sure.

May is the time they show up around here. The competing males are a riot. When the babies start to come to the feeders, we try to take time to watch the teeny things feed. I need to make sure the borage is coming up. They love it and my veggie garden when it starts to bloom. The adults perch on the hoops, watching the feeders during the Boss of All Feeders Wars.

Debbi

There are people who don't care to have their chickens come in contact with wild birds, but it can't be avoided here. My chickens are outside, they free range. Birds fly overhead, they poop in, on or near where my chickens range, and there's nothing I can do about it. Wild birds have not killed my chickens yet.

Back
Top Bottom