Can I add 5 new chickens to a group of 11?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoldDogsMom, May 31, 2012.

1. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I have 11 eight mos old pullets and I would like to add 3 new 8 wk old pullets and a roo, I know there are lots of threads about this but...if I add them at night...what do you all think?

2. I thihnk if you add them at night, and if your poultry set up includes a place where little ones can run to to avoid confrontations with bigger ones (such as a nest box), then you should be okay. There may be tussling and a peck here or there, but it will settle down, and should do so without much trouble.

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Thanks for the advice (and support) Uniontown! I haven't "combined" flocks before but...chicken math! Fortunately there is room for more in the big coop and the 8 smaller pullets went into the small coop!

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd be really careful, that's a significant size difference. Have they had any time to get used to each other with some sort of barrier between them first? You'll also want something safer than a nest box for them to retreat to, and something they are comfortable in, as the larger birds can easily enter a nest box and then they are just cornered.

I tried integrating at that approx age difference, the younger ones had grown out in a fenced off portion of the run so they saw each other on a daily basis, and I'd even let them have a few supervised "visits" with the bigger birds. Then I tried the night time move. Next morning I went out early to check on them and one of the chicks had basically been scalped from the back of his head to between his shoulder blades. I had left a "safe access" back into their area that only the little chicks could enter, and that was where I found them, but that one chick obviously didn't make it there in time. I waited another month to let him heal and try again, with a little more success that time.

5. Toshi

Toshi Songster

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    You should really wait until the babies are the same size or close to the same size as the other birds. 8 weeks is not all that big, wait until they are 14 weeks to be safe. If you add them sooner they have a good change of being hurt by the others.

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Songster

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Well I added them last night...this morning I am happy to report all is well. The older girls are out in the run like usual and the younger ones are hanging out in the coop. When I checked on them (again) the older girls came into the coop to see what I was doing and paid no attention to the young ones! I work from home so I can easily check on them frequently and the coop is close enough that if a tussle starts I will hear it!

Fingers crossed that all remains calm! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: