Can I breed these two Rabbits?

inearth

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2018
United States, NM
Okay so Lets start with the Doe, Shes a Lionhead Mix Holland lop, Black, Pretty cute, single mane.

The male is my Older Californian. Hes very sweet, hes not too big.

Can I breed these two?
The doe is in heat, and shes pulling hair like crazy. shes never been in a cage with a male so I know shes not pregnant. She thinks she is because I put her in with a dominant female who mounted her. (I thought that the dominant female mightve been a male... they're okay dont worry)

The sizes dont concern me much at all, they are basically the same size. its just the doe. I dont mind if the kits die, (Sorry if that sounds mean but, I care more for the doe.)

Is it a possibility that the breeds wont try it out?
Also this would be my first breeding.

Thanks

She's bigger than him ? If she's bigger I don't think she would have a problem delivering if she gets pregnant.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I get the impression that at least one of your rabbits isn't what you think it is. A Lionhead/Holland Lop mix shouldn't be any bigger than maybe 5 lbs, while a Californian should be tipping the scales at approximately double that - nowhere near the same size. Because there is no such breed as an Older Californian, I have real doubts about him, and wonder what he really is?

Can they breed? Well, they will most likely try. The more relevant question, I think, is, "should they be allowed to?" And I guess the answer to that is tied to another question, "what is your purpose in making mutt babies?" A Lionhead/Holland is pretty small for human consumption; do you maybe have a snake you are feeding? Perhaps you can't get through a bag of feed fast enough, and want more mouths to consume it?

Sorry, that was mean, but making more rabbits simply to be making more rabbits doesn't make much sense to me. The rabbit rescues are flooded with unwanted pets, especially at this time (the Easter bunnies are starting to lose their appeal about now), and mutts don't even have monetary value to act as an incentive to the owner to treat them as important. See, that's what you really need to think about, not "what if this fails," but, "what if this succeeds?" Any babies that survive will grow up, and then what?:idunno

If you just want more rabbits, contact a rescue, I'm sure they have lots just waiting to be rehomed. But if you want to be a breeder, for Heaven's sake, be a responsible one; pick a breed, research it and work with the best animals you can afford so at least you can charge enough to make the babies more than an impulse buy to be discarded on a whim.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom