1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I Bring My Chicks Outside for A While Yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Laurajean, May 16, 2010.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Your chicks will be fine and happier if you let them out for a while!!! I used to be overprotective years ago and my chicks were miserable.
    Let them out and take some pics! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If they have access to very small pebbles or sand while they are out that will suit them as grit. It's a natural born thing for them to hunt for stones/pebbles/sand to use as grit. Same goes when the hens get older and need oyster shell. I leave a pile of oyster shell out for my hens where it's easy for them to find. They go to the pile to replenish their individual need at will. My rooster has never once touched the oyster shell pile.

3. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    They will pick at the dirt/sand between the grass. You could throw some extra dirt or sand in there too. [​IMG]
    If you let them out they'll get cocci exposure. I never lost a chick to cocci because I let them out early and they gradually built up an immunity.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I bring my out all the time. Its always warm here, so thats not a problem. They go crazy, running around, catching bugs, eating little seeds on weeds, etc. I just love watching them!! [​IMG] Enjoy!

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If they are bored give them a box or a roost -- something to jump on, sort of playground equipment for chicks. Mine are now about 4 weeks old and about ready to go outside... as soon as I build a tractor for them to play in. Howeve,r at this age what I do for everyone's entertainment is every couple of days I bring them a cake pan of dirt that is sprinkled with worms (they get grit). Every afternoon I chop up different fruits and vegetables. It's amazing how far four grapes go.

Hope you find ways to amuse your chicks -- and you!

Jenny

6. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:I wouldn't give them earth worms...they could get gape worm... find some crickets, grasshoppers, or my chick's favorite...grubs. [​IMG]

7. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Deleted-double post hiccup

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. OCD

OCD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Bay Area
    The cute little farmer in overalls at the feed store td mr they don't need grit until they are on hard food like cracked corn, etc. They don't need grit for soft food.

9. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    Just keep in mind that they need to be at 85 degrees. a sunny day down at grass level can easily be that even if air temps are only 70 or so. shelter them from breezes though. The danger is there lungs getting chilled and developing pneumonia. A chickens lungs are near their back and prone to getting chilled. My oldest chicks are 5 weeks old and started getting their first adventures outside a couple of days ago. as long as the sun is shining and they are sheltered from wind I let them stay outside in an enclosed pen. But I also know I cannot forget them for one minute if the temps drop. we got a sudden cooling this afternoon so they had their play time cut short. These guys should be okay as low as 70 degrees but I don't want to take any chances.

10. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    Don't hesitate, they will love it. They will just stand around at first marveling at the big outside world, they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by