can I build a 2 coop shed for guineas and chickens

wyoDreamer

Free Ranging
13 Years
Nov 10, 2010
NE Wisconsin
We are planning to build a new shed to use for a chicken coop so I can move the chickens out of the barn area and let them "free-range" in a 5 acre pasture. Inspiration struck this morning and I wonder if I could split the shed into two separate areas - with separate bird entrances - and use it for a Guinea coop also. The chicken half would have a pop door to the fenced pasture area (4 foot high no-climb horse fencing) and the guinea half would have a door on the opposite side that opens to the rest of our property.

Our current guineas came with the property when we bought it, and have a shed as a roost area currently. But that shed needs to be fixed up before it starts to fall down. My husband would like to use this shed for something else besides the birds because of its location near the rest of the farm bildings. This shed is also fairly close to the road and we have been getting racoons in the shed the last couple of years. There is a large wooded swamp across the road that the coons are coming from. So far the coons are only getting into the feed, but I don't want anything worse to happen.

What would I need to build into a coop area for guineas besides high roost boards? What type of doorway would be best? Would guineas use a pop door, or is a people door best for them? Our current guineas fly from the roosts in the shed right out the doorway in the mornings.

We are planning to build a new shed to use for a chicken coop so I can move the chickens out of the barn area and let them "free-range" in a 5 acre pasture. Inspiration struck this morning and I wonder if I could split the shed into two separate areas - with separate bird entrances - and use it for a Guinea coop also. The chicken half would have a pop door to the fenced pasture area (4 foot high no-climb horse fencing) and the guinea half would have a door on the opposite side that opens to the rest of our property.

Our current guineas came with the property when we bought it, and have a shed as a roost area currently. But that shed needs to be fixed up before it starts to fall down. My husband would like to use this shed for something else besides the birds because of its location near the rest of the farm buildings. This shed is also fairly close to the road and we have been getting raccoons in the shed the last couple of years. There is a large wooded swamp across the road that the coons are coming from. So far the coons are only getting into the feed, but I don't want anything worse to happen.

What would I need to build into a coop area for guineas besides high roost boards? What type of doorway would be best? Would guineas use a pop door, or is a people door best for them? Our current guineas fly from the roosts in the shed right out the doorway in the mornings.
You can do that. I prefer to have my coops completely separate.

My Guinea Coop

Is there a specific reason for totally separate coops?

Am I trying to mix oil and water by putting the coops in the same building? I would have a solid wall between the 2 coops - maybe machine fabric at the top of the wall to maintain good circulation, but otherwise totally separated.

Your coop is what inspired me to think of this arrangement. Adding 8' onto the shed we were going to build is cheaper and easier than building 2 separate sheds. making a 20x12 shed instead of a 12x12 shed. It would only mean one run of electric for winter water heaters. As a plus, it makes chores a one stop affair - everyone is in a single spot.

Is there a specific reason for totally separate coops?

Am I trying to mix oil and water by putting the coops in the same building? I would have a solid wall between the 2 coops - maybe machine fabric at the top of the wall to maintain good circulation, but otherwise totally separated.

Your coop is what inspired me to think of this arrangement. Adding 8' onto the shed we were going to build is cheaper and easier than building 2 separate sheds. making a 20x12 shed instead of a 12x12 shed. It would only mean one run of electric for winter water heaters. As a plus, it makes chores a one stop affair - everyone is in a single spot.
As long as your divider between the two coops is not see through, there really should not be any problems.

The only drawback that I can see is that the proximity of the guineas to the chickens is pretty close. but door on opposite sides of the building should help that.

My current guineas make a bee-line to the chicken run every morning to check if any chickens are out in the run. They have to go around the barn to get there. They like to sit on top of the run fence (2x4 board) and watch the chickens. Occasionally, they will "yell" at the chickens, but never any serious harassment. Then they hop down and continue on down the driveway to the neighbors to see if she put out any BOSS for them.

Our current guineas came with the property when we bought it, and have a shed as a roost area currently. But that shed needs to be fixed up before it starts to fall down. My husband would like to use this shed for something else besides the birds because of its location near the rest of the farm bildings. This shed is also fairly close to the road and we have been getting racoons in the shed the last couple of years. There is a large wooded swamp across the road that the coons are coming from. So far the coons are only getting into the feed, but I don't want anything worse to happen.

I house my guineas and chickens together. I have never had any problems of fighting between the two groups of birds.

I think the divided shed sounds like a good idea. Putting a door in the wall would simplify things even more for maintenance. As R2elk said, just keep things solid so they can’t see each other.

The only drawback to this arrangement I can think of is, mites. If one group gets them you’ll need to treat both coops. At least I’d imagine you would since mites can get through the smallest of crevices.
Other then that I can’t foresee any problems.

My guineas were brooded with chicks, but we split the 8x16’ coop when the guineas became aggressive to the other birds. We used a hardware cloth, secure divider so we could leave the pop door open and not worry about predators using it to access the chickens. I’ve used several automatic pop doors with the guineas and they’ve worked fine. I also tried a chunnel (chicken tunnel) which was pretty problematic for guineas and chickens, though the guineas eventually learned how to use it. We wanted to expand our chickens, so we eventually built a new coop for the guineas. Relocating was hard in them so I fenced them into the new coop and pop door for 6 weeks. They still tried to use the old coop door for awhile after that, but are very used to it now.

I’ve posted some pics but had some trouble arranging... the barn style interior is the coop split into two parts. The plywood is the current coop with auto door (shot with just plywood was before the door was installed). Pic looking out through wire shows a roost at the top. I have five of those roosts, 8 feet long each for 21 guineas.

325CE10C-E134-4BFE-AE76-1AF9B3BCE4CA.jpeg C7C893F6-721C-4275-B3BB-05258FFE5066.jpeg
30B3576B-BC90-437F-92AC-52E860833804.jpeg D6570224-35A0-4E8B-A915-8ADB344882E6.jpeg

Relocating was hard in them so I fenced them into the new coop and pop door for 6 weeks. They still tried to use the old coop door for awhile after that, but are very used to it now.

Thank you, that gives me hope.

I'm currently trying to separate my guineas from my chickens and it has been an adventure, and we are only on day 2...

Ended up creating a run for them that is covered while they adjust to the separation from their funny looking brothers and sisters..

Thank you, that gives me hope.

I'm currently trying to separate my guineas from my chickens and it has been an adventure, and we are only on day 2...

Ended up creating a run for them that is covered while they adjust to the separation from their funny looking brothers and sisters..
Hi Ulbergm and Welcome to Back Yard Chickens!!! :welcome

Are you having problems with your guineas and chickens getting along so trying to separate them?

Back
Top Bottom