can i buy chicks outside of my area even if its in quaratine ?

kaythlin

Chirping
Oct 28, 2017
right now the LA county area is in quarantine because of the Newcastle disease
now I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid

but what if I want to order chicks from the hoover hatchery?
can i still buy them, is it okay because the area the hoover hatchery isn't in quarantine?

edit: thank you this question is already answered!

Last edited:
I don't know the answer, but suspect you can't have any chickens until the quarantine is lifted for your area. I would suggest calling Hoover Hatchery and asking them this question, but keep in mind that they might only be interested in selling chicks and might not be the best source of information on dealing with quarantines. If you have time, get on the telephone and start calling your local county extension offices and see if you can get someone who deals with and knows the rules of the quarantine. Good luck.

I don't know the answer, but suspect you can't have any chickens until the quarantine is lifted for your area. I would suggest calling Hoover Hatchery and asking them this question, but keep in mind that they might only be interested in selling chicks and might not be the best source of information on dealing with quarantines. If you have time, get on the telephone and start calling your local county extension offices and see if you can get someone who deals with and knows the rules of the quarantine. Good luck.
I mean I have chickens and I've read into the quarantine a few times and it says we CANT sell chickens so we don't distribute the sickness just in case our flock has it, but it doesn't say we can't buy OUTSIDE of the quarantine area so that's where it puzzles me.

I mean I have chickens and I've read into the quarantine a few times and it says we CANT sell chickens so we don't distribute the sickness just in case our flock has it, but it doesn't say we can't buy OUTSIDE of the quarantine area so that's where it puzzles me.
Hatcheries will not ship to postal codes 90000-93599, even if you are not in the quarantine zone. You are not allowed to move birds, import or export if you are within the quarantine zone.

Back
Top Bottom