Can I candle at 6 days and actually see anything?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dogfish, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Put 37 gambel/valley quail eggs in the incubator last Friday, and the anticipation is killing me. First time ever doing this. Temp is holding steady at 99.5, humidity hanging in at 45-50%. So if I candle, would I be able to see anything. I don't want to disturb the eggs, haven't touched them since they went in.

Any pitfalls, or am I being too cautious and these things are actually much hardier than I am thinking?

Thanks

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    You maybe able to see some veins but if you haven't done it much I wouldn't toss any or loose hope this early. Try to wait if you can handle it [​IMG] it's better for the eggs to be handled the least amount possible i think. sure you'll probably have a good hatch for those who open every minute but I don't risk it if i can help it.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Couldn't resist. I candled three eggs. One it was hard to see because of the mottling on the exterior of the shell, but on two others I saw veins!

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I just had a mixed hatch of valley / gamble , I don,t remember which it was but one of them was easy to see into the other one not so much I candled at 7 days and at lockdown (20) most of mine hatched on day 22

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by