Can i change her surroundings where she's nested?

Lach Cnoc Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Western Washington
I have a hen that decided to build her nest under a broken down lawnmower in the back yard. shes nestled right between the bags on the back of it.

We had planned on moving this mover out of the yard so i was wondering how do you all think she would react to me moving the mower from over her and replacing it with a medium sized tractor set up?

If shes off the nest for this switch would she go back to the nest? or should i lower the tractor over her while shes on the nest?

i really want her to be safe with the babies im not even sure when theyre due.

and also, would it be ok to put the drake in with her? theyre best buddies and he sits and watches her all day and keeps everyone else away from her.

thanks all.

Oh boy - hope you get an answer to this one. Best wishes whatever you decide to do!
fl.gif

Well, what breed is she? If she's real calm, it might work.
If she's anything like my Pekins...FORGET IT!
I also don't think you should move her, but try to keep the nest as is, and maybe slowly, reeeeal slow, put the tractor over her.
Or, you could just take a chance and wait the 28 days. Is the drake out with her all night too?

The drake just kinda roams around where she is and sits and watches her and chases the other birds away. he doesnt mess with the dogs though. She gets pretty puffed up when you get anywhere near her. shes not super people friendly.

i DO NOT wanna move the nest, i am positive she'd abandon it then! and i really dont want that. this is her second nest this year and the first one was full of rotten eggs. she is a GC/Buff mix.

I am thinking she might be okay with lowering the tractor but i would have to move the mower while shes down at the creek. i am pretty sure she'd freak out if she was on the nest for that and i dont wanna stress her out anymore...

my cousin (shes 5) snatched her off the nest and threw her back on the other day...
somad.gif
... i am glad she stayed, i tried counting her eggs quickly yesterday and she just kinda puffed up n squirmed a little but didnt peck or pinch me.

Is there any way you could leave the mower under the tractor? My guess would be, if you change her surroundings too much, she may not feel secure or recognize it as hers. My ducks also return to their nest when disturbed, but not once I tamper with it. But then again, they are Pekins, and get real nasty when I come near a nest. One tried to attack me, all fluffed up and MAD.
Also, about the drake with her...you would have to leave the tractor door open for him to go in and out. Then lock it at night.
Good luck, let me know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom