Can I convert a *NEW* dog house kit into a coop?? (*cedar concerns*)

chickie22

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
New York
I know lots of people have done it with older ones. I do not have an old one and am not having luck on craigslist. Every dog house kit I can find online is made of (white) cedar. :barnie

If I seal the inside of the coop with
Minwax Helmsman Satin Oil-based Spar Urethane Varnish

...would it protect the chicken from cedar smell?

I am trying to come up with a solution to house a bullied chicken. My hope is that it can also be used in the future as quarantine/hospital/broody mom place.

I am so frustrated. I have spent SO much time online trying to find a solution. I could buy a small coop kit, but I hear they are usually junky. I live in the NE so I need something that can handle winter. I need to buy something that has part of the work already done for me.

Help?

Any suggestions?

I would not put my chickens in a cedar building. Can you tell us what your budget is for your coop? I would look for a garden shed, and convert that. Is there an option to put your chicken in an area of the coop which is closed off for her?

How many birds in current coop, and what are the dimensions of coop and run?

What does this bullying look like, what breeds involved, what are their ages, what are they on for feed, what is the mill date and protein content of the feed? How much are you giving them in the way of treats/snacks?

I was hoping to spend less than $200 on this mini-coop. I was thinking to get a mini coop and cut off part of the run for her. Thus, my search for a small dog house or coop kit. I can easily cut off a part of the run, but need shelter for her.

We just spent a lot of time and money on a main coop. Interior is 32 sq. ft., run is 108 sq. ft.

We have a flock of 6 hens. (They are in my avatar photo.) 2 buff orpingtons, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 plymouth rock, 2 black astralorps.

Not sure of age. 1-2 years.

They eat (auto-feeder gives them constant access)
Nature's Best Organic Egg Layer Crumbles 16%

I also give them yogurt or oatmeal in the morning. Later in the day watermelon or BOSS
Sorry for varied typing was copying and pasting and then it went wacky.

Both buffs went broody about 6 weeks ago. I put them in broody jail. Upon returning them to the flock, one of them- Gloria ran into issues. She has always been at the bottom of the pecking order. She and one of the black astralorp's named Bandit (chicken #2 I think in the order...acts a bit rooster-like) kept fighting. Sometimes Gloria instigated. Bandit pulled out some of Gloria's feathers and pecked her comb until it bled. Bandit is missing a few feathers around her neck. I don't know for certain if it is related. I removed Gloria to the garage to heal. When trying to re-integrate her to the flock multiple birds peck at her. They do not usually pursue her, but she runs from place to place and a different chicken will then get her. She will hide on the roosting bar and then they will leave her alone, but then she could be up there all day. Sometimes she will run around frantically in the enclosure. If she hears me she runs to the edge in hopes I will take her out. :hitI have not seen her trying to fight anymore. Just running. Bandit keeps cornering her. They chase her from the food. I have only put her in there briefly (to see if things are resolving) and then take her out to free range. She basically hangs out around the coop or by the door all day. She wants to go back in, but then isn't happy when she gets in there. :confused:

Do you have an option to let the birds out into your yard with supervision? If so, try letting Gloria out with one other gal, either bottom of pecking order or some where in the middle. Be sure they have plenty of treats to dig around for. I'd do this towards the end of the day, when they will be soon to go to roost. Repeat this on a daily basis, alternating who you let her out with. Your coop/run is "technically big enough" for 6-8 birds. But, this is a prime example of why "more space is better". Add broody hormones to the mix, and your flock will tell you that their space is not big enough.

Now, what have you done to alter their coop/run? Is there enough height to allow you to put in some hay bales? A pallet or two leaning against a wall, or in an A frame design? At the very least, you need to provide: multiple height and out of sight areas without any dead end spaces where she can get trapped. If the run is bare ground, you should give them a pile of leaves, a busted open bale of hay, some grass clippings. Toss some of their treats into this mess for them to scratch around in.

Have you given them multiple feed and water stations? This is also a must.

As for the "dog house", that would be a viable option. But, I'd try putting one other gal in with her instead of putting her alone. Let them bond before introducing them to the rest of the flock. Think of this as being a multi week, or even 2 month project. So, your dog house should be AT LEAST 8 s.f. and it should have a window for light and 2 sources of ventilation.

You might be able to make a frame of pallets, and add some siding, and create your own coop that would be at least 16 s.f. with very little work. That would be the direction I would go!

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment! I will try some of your suggestions!

If I put hay bales in do I have to worry about them getting moldy from rain?

I have been letting everyone free range for about 2 hours before bed. Gloria stays away from everyone else or gets flustered and runs when they get near her. She then follows them into the main coop to go to bed. I have been wondering about having her bond with another chicken. I will try that, too!

I do deep litter in both coop and run. Mold IMO is a non issue. Your hay will break down with moisture, but the organisms that are mostly responsible for that are bacteria and fungi. Yes, I get some mold in my run, but... I am not at all concerned about it. The birds just scratch it up and continue their relentless search for goodies in the DL.

...would it protect the chicken from cedar smell?

Just for clarification, it's not the cedar smell that harms the chickens, it's the off gassing that happens when the cedar begins to decay and break down.

I think the concern from cedar really comes from using cedar shavings with young chicks in the brooder, and using it as deep bedding in a coop that doesn't have much ventilation.

As for the cedar dog house, I'm not sure that it would cause problems... my hunch is that it really wouldn't, but I know chicken people tend to think cedar is a deadly killer... so maybe a plastic one would work:

Animals Favorite Dog House
by Animals Favorite
Link: http://a.co/7NWLNX1

Back
Top Bottom