Can I cook with eggs that a broody hen sat on for 2 days?

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
She keeps sitting on the eggs that the other chickens hatch, and if she's had them warm for 1 or 2 days (sometimes I can't collect the eggs til the 2nd day) is that still OK to cook with? Most of them look normal inside, and (not to be gross) but I did notice one or two that had tiny bits of blood which I assume is the very earliest stage of chicken embryo developing. But I need a lot of eggs to bake some cakes with... Anyone know?

I'd use them and remove any blood spots. Shouldn't be too many developing after just 2 days. I'd crack them in a clear bowl individually.

OK. Thanks. They seem fine otherwise. It makes me wonder if that "blood spot" folks refer to sometimes is really just Day 1 of being incubated... ?

Do you have roosters? If not, no worries. Even un fertilized eggs can have a small blood spots on occasion. When we had some 3rd year 'used' chickens we sometimes found them.

Blood or Meat spots have nothing to do with fertility or incubation. The first sign of incubation is enlargement of the nucleus followed by spidery vein development. Why not put the broody in a seperate pen?

Yes, there is a rooster. I assumed that this cold weather would make her stop being broody. And the fact that I take all the eggs away every day from all the nests, including hers. She sits on an empty nest much of the time!

Back
Top Bottom