can I create sex-links with Sussex and New Hampshires?

I'm thinking of getting a New Hampshire rooster and Sussex hens, and I'm wonder if breeding them will create sex-links. I am thinking they might because a a BR mother and a NH or RIR father will create a red star, and a speckled sussex's coloring is simaler to that of a BR.

New Hampshire rooster over Light Sussex or Silver Sussex will produce feather color sexable chicks at hatch, this is the sex-link trait of gold x silver genes
Crossing a New Hampshire male over Speckled Sussex will not yield a sex-link result as both of the parent stock's plumage is gold genetically. gold x gold = gold

jeff

I'm thinking of getting a New Hampshire rooster and Sussex hens, and I'm wonder if breeding them will create sex-links. I am thinking they might because a a BR mother and a NH or RIR father will create a red star, and a speckled sussex's coloring is simaler to that of a BR.

Wouldn't the NH/RIR over BR cross be a black star?

New Hampshire rooster over Light Sussex or Silver Sussex will produce feather color sexable chicks at hatch, this is the sex-link trait of gold x silver genes
Crossing a New Hampshire male over Speckled Sussex will not yield a sex-link result as both of the parent stock's plumage is gold genetically. gold x gold = gold

jeff
Use Light Sussex (eWh allele) instead of Silver Sussex (ER allele) That way you don't have any added problems from crossing alleles as well as colors.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom