Can I do ANYTHING with the eggs???

yinzerchick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
E.Texas
Hi all,

I've been searching off and on for a few days and can't seem to find the answer...

I wormed my chickens last night with an oral dose of 1/2 cc of valbazen, all 58 of them. This wasn't an easy decision, but I had seen several droppings on the roost with roundworms over the past few months. I use ACV, garlic, DE, and crushed red pepper as preventatives, but apparently living in a hot, humid climate with free ranging chickens I guess it wasn't enough.

So we wormed last night (Happy to report all are alive and well this morning, I had terrible visions of them all laying dead under their roosts this morning because I had done it)
hit.gif

I've had them 2 1/2 years and this is the first time I wormed. It was not an easy decision...so many different thoughts on the subject. Anyway...

I know egg withdrawl is 14 days after the second dose. Even though the girls egg production has been sluggish in our high heat, we still get between 20-30 eggs daily. That's a lot of eggs to toss.

However, I knew this before worming them, and had come to terms with it...I thought.
barnie.gif
This is going to be harder than I imagined...tossing out all those beautiful eggs...sniff, sniff....
sad.png

Well, finally, my question... Would it be okay to feed some of the eggs back to the chickens? Not all of them, just a dozen or so, and cooked of course. Just once a week, as a treat, with some yogurt and noodles and other yummies? (yeah, they're spoiled) What about cooking some up for my dogs to add with their suppers a couple times a week? (yeah, they're spoiled too)
roll.png

Just wondering, I'd like to be able to use at least a few dozen of them, before I start filling the compost pile with eggs. Thoughts please??
Thanks!

Some of the wormer will be in the eggs, not all of it. You could feed them to the dogs, but the dogs will be getting some wormer. You could feed them back but might extend the withdrawal.
You could compost them or use them as a bait for trapping predators.

I'm planning on worming one flock at a time. It won't affect how many eggs I lose but at least I'll still be getting eggs to eat and incubate from the non-wormed flocks.

I had to worm my chickens (Yes, it is a very very hard decision.) and I had to throw away the eggs for a week. I was wondering the same thing - I would say no. The chickens would eat the eggs and pick up the traces of valbazen in the eggs and get it back in their system. It is a hard thing to do, and it hurts, but just throw the eggs away.

Thanks for the replies...I guess I'll just have to pull up my big girl britches and (cringe) toss 'em into the compost pile. Thanks again for the good advise!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom