Can I do deep litter method with this coop?

If it is a wooden floor then you'll want to lay down linoleum or seal it with roofing sealer or similar to protect the wood from rot.

Are you planning on doing deep litter where you actively promote the material composting in the coop? Or deep bedding where you maintain a thick layer of bedding keeping things very dry? There is a big difference in how the two function that deserves distinction.

I do deep litter in my run and love it. It solved my drainage issues and has made my birds happier and healthier. All sorts of materials and some moisture go in there and it is very much an active compost pile.

I'm my coop I use deep bedding. I don't add moisture to that litter and use a very dry, high carbon content material. Consequently, little to no composting takes place. Additionally, I utilize a droppings board so that the majority of the poop gets easily removed bi-weekly. Twice a year my coop is cleaned and all the bedding is removed to the run where it then composts. Deep bedding (lower moisture) won't damage an untreated wood floor the way deep litter will.
So I should take my bedding(pine shavings) and put them in the run to compost? My inside coop floor does have a linoleum floor. Should I use or not use food grade DE or Permethrin spray in there?

If it is a wooden floor then you'll want to lay down linoleum or seal it with roofing sealer or similar to protect the wood from rot.

Are you planning on doing deep litter where you actively promote the material composting in the coop? Or deep bedding where you maintain a thick layer of bedding keeping things very dry? There is a big difference in how the two function that deserves distinction.

I do deep litter in my run and love it. It solved my drainage issues and has made my birds happier and healthier. All sorts of materials and some moisture go in there and it is very much an active compost pile.

I'm my coop I use deep bedding. I don't add moisture to that litter and use a very dry, high carbon content material. Consequently, little to no composting takes place. Additionally, I utilize a droppings board so that the majority of the poop gets easily removed bi-weekly. Twice a year my coop is cleaned and all the bedding is removed to the run where it then composts. Deep bedding (lower moisture) won't damage an untreated wood floor the way deep litter will.
I realize this post is from a long time ago, but if you’re still here … question: if dropping boards are not used, how often does one need to remove poop or is it just turned over by the chickens and an occasional manure fork? Thank you!

I realize this post is from a long time ago, but if you’re still here … question: if dropping boards are not used, how often does one need to remove poop or is it just turned over by the chickens and an occasional manure fork? Thank you!
I sometime churn things up with a manure fork and I have spring cleaning fever right now so when it warms up I might do more of a clean. Or maybe not.
If deep litter comes out of the human or chicken door I don’t worry too much. It composts down i. The run pretty fast.

Unfortunately @TalkALittle hasn't been around for a few years, too bad as they had good advice.

As far as removing poop, there are many variables so there is no hard numbers for durations.

Back
Top Bottom