Can I downgrade my feed in winter from GMO/soy free to regular feed?

appellativo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Its my first year with chickens. I buy the GMO and soy free pellets which are about ten dollars a bag more expensive than the regular feed. It would save me a little to go the regular/cheaper route during the winter. Any disadvantages to this? I would start them back up on regular feed again in the spring. I will also feed cracked corn and scratch this winter and it probably won't be gmo free! LOL

Besides cost, what is the reason? Why did you choose this feed to begin with? I am really struggling to understand making such a change if you are committed to a particular feeding philosophy, but only seasonally.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. If I'm eating the eggs, I would rather my birds be passing on superior nutrition to me and my family. But if we are not eating our eggs in winter, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to switch to a cheaper feed while we are not eating the eggs. I suppose I have to weigh what is more important; cost, or why I avoid GMO in the first place (genetically modified foods). Hybrid breeding of produce is okay, while manually splicing genes from entirely different organisms (animals and produce that the original food would never crossbreed or polinate with!) is not desireable. Organic foods are more nutritious than their conventionally grown (ie chemical pesticides and fertilizers with minimal nitrogen and phosphorus compounds instead of the full range of nutrients in composted and organically fertilized and grown crops). I myself buy organic when I can afford it and when its available but I have to resort to cheaper, GMO groceries myself sometimes. So am I making an ethical compromise by doing the same for my birds? Help me out with your opinions.

My advice:

Focus your resources on the food you eat directly. Don't feed your birds organic/gmo free until you and you family are eating 100% organic/gmo free.

The foods you are eating directly will have a far greater impact on your and you family's health than the birds' diet will.

Now, if you are making an income off the birds, that might change my answer, but from your post, I don't believe you are.

Last edited:
I agree. Unless you are all eating totally organic feeds, don't worry about the chicken feed. Get them a quality balanced ration, and free range as much as possible, and enjoy fresh high quality eggs and meat, from birds who have better lives than most. Mary

My advice:

Focus your resources on the food you eat directly. Don't feed your birds organic/gmo free until you and you family are eating 100% organic/gmo free.

The foods you are eating directly will have a far greater impact on your and you family's health than the birds' diet will.

Now, if you are making an income off the birds, that might change my answer, but from your post, I don't believe you are.
This is a great way to look at it.

Sounds like you're not expecting your birds to be laying during the winter? My production hens always lay the first winter, then take breaks after that.

Back
Top Bottom