Can I drive with chicks in the car?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicholas Dean, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Nicholas Dean

Nicholas Dean In the Brooder

Jan 26, 2018
    I am driving to a Tractor Supply to buy 4 (maybe 5) chicks. It's a 1 hour 45 minute drive and the altitude change is about 500 ft. Will the chicks be okay? Will they be okay without heat (I'll make sure the car is not freezing cold) for about 2 hours? (I'm aware they'll probably make a lot of noise)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    chonsey and Abriana like this.
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Why will they not have heat? If you have them freezing cold for a couple of hours, they could well get too cold and die. If you're just going to pick them up and transport them home, they should be fine if the car is warm. If you need to make another stop on your trip, I'd do that first then pick up the chicks. That should be the last thing you do so you can take them straight home and get them settled in.

Angeline1978 and chonsey like this.
  3. Nicholas Dean

Nicholas Dean In the Brooder

Jan 26, 2018
    My plan is to just bring them straight home. I was just wondering if the 2 hour drive without the heat lamp was long enough to hurt them. (It will NOT be freezing cold in the car. i will keep it perfectly cozy)

chonsey likes this.
  4. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    You could bring a small towel to fold and put in the bottom of the container so they don't slide around too much, and it should help them keep warm and snuggly. If you can find someone to go with you, they can hold the box on their lap, or just make sure the box is secure in the seat. They should make the trip just fine. Think of all of the chicks that are shipped. 2 hrs. in the car is nothing.

sumi and chonsey like this.
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I misread your first post. I read, "I'll make sure the car is freezing cold..." I got confused!

dunnmom likes this.
  6. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I also wouldn't worry about food or water for a trip that short. Just make sure and give them a drink as soon as you get them home.

bobbi-j likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    When I transport chicks, I crank my heater all the way up, and dress for summer weather, even if I'm transporting chicks in a February snow blizzard. Yes, I've been there, and done that. That means the chicks may be more comfortable than me. An other option for you would be to use a power converter plugged into a cigarette lighter, and use a small heating pad wrapped around one end of the box they are in. The bigger concern IMO would be that they may not have had a chance to fill up on feed and water before you pick them up. Chicks arrive from the hatchery being totally depleted on their nutrient reserves. They need a few hours to stabilize, rehydrate, and get their crops filled up. Allowing that time would help ensure that they not get overly stressed by their SECOND journey. While you are at it, pick up a bottle of Poultry Nutri Drench to help them get off to a good start.

RodNTN and dunnmom like this.
  8. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
  9. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    This is a very good point. You might ask what time they were delivered when you pick them up, or call ahead.

10. JenLiz

JenLiz Chirping

Feb 21, 2018
    Brandon, Florida
    Do you have a seat heater in your car? Preheat it to low and set the box on top?

dunnmom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: