Can I drive with chicks in the car?

Be sure you have your brooder all set up and warm before you go to get them. I strongly advocate for using MHP system instead of a heat lamp. Also, many people brood their chicks in a space that is way too small. By the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old, they need 2 s.f. of open floor space per chick in the brooder.

I have lost chicks with just an hour drive. Put them in the smallest box so they aren't heating a large area. Throw a towel over it to help keep warm and quiet. Put them on the passenger side floor and crank up the heater.

I am driving to a Tractor Supply to buy 4 (maybe 5) chicks. It's a 1 hour 45 minute drive and the altitude change is about 500 ft. Will the chicks be okay? Will they be okay without heat (I'll make sure the car is not freezing cold) for about 2 hours? (I'm aware they'll probably make a lot of noise)

Great timing for this question!
I just got home from picking up my (4) hah! chicks. It's over an hour plus drive with an altitude increase coming home. Today is very windy and about 20 above. Not ideal but April IS, here in the mountain west.
My other town errands were done first, then I loaded my cart with feed etc, then picked out my chicks. Our feed store packs them in a smallish (appropriate for number of chicks) sturdy cardboard box with shavings. The box gets loaded into the warm car before anything else - the floor of the front seat worked great for transporting. This time last year was warmer and the same procedure was effective.
We are home, chicks are in the brooder, all is well. They are eating , drinking and making soft chirps.
You and yours will be just fine! have fun, it's a big adventure.

Back
Top Bottom