Can I eat eggs from chickens with coryza?

B2B family farm

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2016
I just finally figured out what is going on in my coop. Most of the chickens got coryza from a new chicken that joined my flock. But it took me about 5 days to realize what's going on as this is my first disease in the coop. Is it ok to eat the eggs they laid in the last few days while having the coryza? Also I sell my eggs. Is there any concern?

Coryza is not spread through the eggs. But many respiratory diseases can look similar, and unless you get a couple of sick birds tested, you can't know whether you have MG, coryza, or other diseases. What exactly are their symptoms that you are seeing? Here is a good link to read about the different symptoms of MG, coryza, ILT, and infectious bronchitis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you for getting back to me. The chickens act sluggish, they are sneezing and have liquid coming out of their nostrils and I think beak a little. Some have one side of the face or eye swollen. Their breathing sounds like if they have liquid in their throat... like bubbles. The original one that brought it in is now looking better and is acting normal. Her swelling went down and her eye is open again. I didn't treat her because I didn't know what was going on.

Thank you for getting back to me. The chickens act sluggish, they are sneezing and have liquid coming out of their nostrils and I think beak a little. Some have one side of the face or eye swollen. Their breathing sounds like if they have liquid in their throat... like bubbles. The original one that brought it in is now looking better and is acting normal. Her swelling went down and her eye is open again. I didn't treat her because I didn't know what was going on.

MG and coryza can cause swelling of an eye, with the others symptoms you describe. Coryza is said to cause a bad odor around the face. You need to contact your state department of agriculture to find out how to get tested.

Back
Top Bottom