Can I eat the eggs from my chicken who is being treated with BlueKote?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ButtersMama, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    One of my 5 chickens started moulting. She has a bare spot and another chicken was pecking at her back and I saw a open sore. I asked an employee at TSC and she told me to buy Blue Kote. Now my husband asks if it is safe to eat the eggs? I did a search and there are conflicting answers to my question.

What do you all do in this situation?

If I shouldn't eat them...what do I do? I can't sit and watch in the window who is in the nesting box.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate all of you.

PS...I've only treated her once. Should I stop?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have used bluekote plenty of times on my chickens and quail. I have afterwards eaten their eggs with no ill effects. I actually never gave it any thought really, being so topical. I do know that things absorb in thru the skin, but I personally will keep using it and eating my eggs.

I guess only time will tell if I start developing some cancerous boil somewhere on my body. [​IMG]

Bluekote is not USDA approved for human use, although many products for animals aren't and I don't think anyone will apply it to themselves or eat it. The warnings on the bottle say "not for use on animals used for meat". Well, if you were treating, say a wound on a chicken comb, and you are not going to eat that comb, then I would think the eggs would be ok. My personal opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by