Can I eat the eggs of my chickens with coccidiosis if I don't treat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerngirl29

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
I have new hens who I think got coccidiosis Only one hen ever acted sick and I gave them rice/hot sauce/cayenne mix for three days now they have blood in their poop. I'm thinking its coccidiosis. I just called our vet and they said he doesn't treat chickens. I don't have any intentions of giving them antibiotics. I don't want medicated eggs!! All I want to know is Is it okay to eat their eggs while they are sick. (Wether it be cocci, worms or whatever) if not I'm just going to get rid of these chickens and try again OR find a way to treat without medication. I know that there HAS to be a way to treat it naturally. I treat most of my and my kids illnesses and problems naturally. Surely there's a way for chickens!!!

I have new hens who I think got coccidiosis Only one hen ever acted sick and I gave them rice/hot sauce/cayenne mix for three days now they have blood in their poop. I'm thinking its coccidiosis. I just called our vet and they said he doesn't treat chickens. I don't have any intentions of giving them antibiotics. I don't want medicated eggs!! All I want to know is Is it okay to eat their eggs while they are sick. (Wether it be cocci, worms or whatever) if not I'm just going to get rid of these chickens and try again OR find a way to treat without medication. I know that there HAS to be a way to treat it naturally. I treat most of my and my kids illnesses and problems naturally. Surely there's a way for chickens!!!
Eating something produced from a sick animal isn't a good idea. Medicated or not, toss those eggs.

That being said, if you don't medicate soon, you aren't going to be getting any eggs. Coccidiosis is deadly, and is moves quickly. (Provided you have Coccidia. I only heard of chicks, and younger fowl contracting it.)You can try natural methods, but many of them are myths. Sulmet and other products are proven to work. Which, is what most people want when they are dealing with a fast killing parasite. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/7mFarm-Herbal/message/21434

Getting rid of the birds doesn't make much sense to me. It isn't the birds fault they contracted a parasite...that can be gotten rid of easily. Also, if you get more chickens they are likely to get it too. Parasitic and bacterial diseases depend on location, and how well a coop is cleaned.

Last edited:
If your kids are sick, how do you treat them? What do you use in place of antibiotics? Could you use those methods on your chicken?

I don't know much about alternative medicine, sorry I can't be of more help.

But you won't be eating medicated eggs - you can't eat the eggs while you are treating the birds and then you have to toss them for an additional 10 days after. At that point there is no more medication in their system and nothing to worry about.

I understand not wanting to use antibiotics, but from everything I have read, your birds will dye without it and then there will be no eggs at all.

It is nice that your try to treat everything naturally, but there are just somethings that can NOT be treated naturally (like - if your kids get strep) - this is one of those times it might not be able to be done.

Read up on the disease, dont let petty opinoins kill birds.
Antibiotics are GOOD when used properly. Dont let silly people sully the name of good medicine because of bad practices. To be honest, if you dont understand it and use it badly then that puts you in the same category you are trying to avoid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eimeria
The Coci isnt a bacteria, it is a spore forming protozoa, so antibiotics are a waste and will just complicate things.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
If you dont know, and your vet doesnt, then check the same info your vet would. The above link is probably what any bird vet knows or would use.

Get a good medicine and treat them for it, or you will lose them if it got bad enough to make them bleed. My flock was infected by passing wild birds and we had a couple losses, but everyone came back around after treatment. Make sure you clean the area well, and Cocci is resistant to bleach so use a good cleaner that is based on another solvent or cleaning comound.
Cocci is a cycle building parasite so ensure the area is cleared of fecies often as even clean birds will get it just from dust, wind, or wild birds.

I skip eating the eggs from under treatment birds and just scramble and feed them back. Same with sick or otherwise comprimised.
The dogs love it when I give them the chcickens culled for disease or other bad reasons, and think about it your dog was MADE to eat sick and otherwise weak animals so its very much OK.

Like you mentioned in your previous post, it might be best to get rid of your sick chickens and buy your eggs at the store.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...d-wont-hardly-eat-im-ready-to-give-up-already

There is no reason to get rid of these hens nor to let them suffer and die from coccidiosis. If you get more hens and they come down with cocci as well, then what? You need to know how to take care of the problem. The treatment is very simple: Get some Corid from the feed store and treat them. The product comes in powder or liquid. Dose for powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Liquid is 9.5 ml per gallon, same duration. Make it up fresh every day. This will control the cocci and give the hens time to develop immunity.

Corid is a simple medication, it's a thiamin blocker and works by preventing the protozoa from rapidly multiplying. Many people go right on eating the eggs. The choice is yours, if it bothers you then toss the eggs. Regardless, do not confuse Corid with antibiotic's, they are not one and the same. Different function completely. Medication's do have their place in animal husbandry just as in people. There are many very good and effective medications that are used to keep our birds healthy. You shouldn't write them all off as being something bad.

If you don't treat this you won't have to worry about medicated eggs or not, cocci very often kills birds, and quick. It's not uncommon for older hens to contract it when moved to a new home. All it takes is for them to come in contact with a strain they are not immune too.

Sorry but killing an animal (or should i say letting an animal die a horrible death) to be able to stand on some soapbox about being natural just leaves me speechless.

letting them die like that is horrible

I once treated cocci with (human) baby probiotics supplements and garlic soaked drinking water

the supplement I oral syringe fed

so do that at least and please don't be so heartless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom