can i eat these eggs?

zumachicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
hi - newbie here...i finally found where my bantam was laying her eggs! there were eight under her, so i took seven. found them this morning (easter sunday)...funny hu? anyway, are they still ok to eat?? should i refrigerate them or toss them??
idunno.gif

i apologize if this is a very dumb question....

Fresh eggs should be fine to eat for atleast a week and don't need any refrigeration. Don't wash them either, they naturally have a coating that is going to keep them fresh.

If she's been setting on them and not just laying them and then leaving the nest, you may have a chick developing in them already. I think I'd toss them and start over.

ok, so if there were eight eggs, that's eight days, so i should be fine to eat them...??? that is assuming the last one she laid was today....THANK you!!

oh, these are not fertile, i do not have a rooster....so, are they ok then????

Here is a neat thing I found on this site when I first started:

Eggs are good when:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
Place eggs in bowl.
If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thoroughly cooked.
If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start pivoting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
When completely upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thoroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, etc.)
Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidize; This might explain the whole floating egg method.

The reason the older eggs float is because as the egg ages the air cell grows in size. Thats so the chicks when they hatch have enough air to breath until they fully break the shell.

Back
Top Bottom