Can I encourage a Rooster to mate?

JayUmmelVT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Anyone have any idea on if its possible to create an enviroment for a roo to want to mate a bit more? (ya know,,,candles, Barry Manilo music softly in the background) See the thing is, Arthur has been given his walking papers by the Dear Wife and hes leaving Mon or Tues. He has been mounting some, but less than half of his 17 hens. To increase my incubating odds next week does anyone know of any thing I could do to increase chances. Currently they pasture together daily and he is more active mating in the eve but spends a good deal of time just chasing one down to top. Maybe keeping them confined in their run in the evening might help? Some wine? Massage Oils?
Crazy question but I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks,
Jay

If you aren't watching him 24/7, I wouldn't say he's only mounting half those hens. However, 17 to 1 is a rather large ratio for one rooster to be expected to cover so I'm sure someone's being left out. Roosters mate when they feel the urge, there's nothing you can really do to encourage otherwise. Just make sure they're healthy and well fed.
smile.png

My experience with roosters has always been too much mating, to the point that the poor hens were missing feathers on their backs and even the ducks weren't safe from his advances. I would bet that your guy is doing as much as he's capable of. Seventeen hens sounds like too much, even for a horny rooster.

odd , I got the same issue with my roo but he doesn't have that much ladies , I also select the hens I want him to mate and put them in the run while the rest free ranges or other way 'round , that he can free range with the ladies yet so far no eggs fertile and haven't seen him trying either ? do they get a midlife crisis at a very early stage orso ?

And my issue was ageism. Raven (our rooster) was a young fella and most of my hens are older 3-6 yrs old). Theyd chase him off like he was the bratty little brother so his advances only went to the younger pullet. Of course when he'd hop on her she'd squeal and all the old ladies would come running to rescue her. He was a beautiful bird but had to go as the ladies stopped laying he was stressing them out so much.

And my issue was ageism. Raven (our rooster) was a young fella and most of my hens are older 3-6 yrs old). Theyd chase him off like he was the bratty little brother so his advances only went to the younger pullet. Of course when he'd hop on her she'd squeal and all the old ladies would come running to rescue her. He was a beautiful bird but had to go as the ladies stopped laying he was stressing them out so much.
about that stressy part ? I had a roo like that as well , he was in the morning getting complains from the hens winy saying something , as if they said ' not laid yet , the egg is coming ! " just as you mention also here they stopped laying then , but when I took him out for a while all the ladies went back to lay , weird as it should go better with a rooster in fact , like now , I traded the other roo with someone , that was a barred rock I had and I traded him for a black rooster that was supossed to be a black copper but he seemed to be a barnevelder as he came to me , however I made up my mind about the old roo i traded him , got worse !! all ladies were the entire day being ' humped ' and had their backs quite wounded and stopped laying again , there was one hen even busy laying while he jumped on her , that one died the day after of being eggbound , so didn't trade anymore , had this one just for free to a couple wishing a roo but with note that he acted violent , they still wanted him and I ordered a BCM roo at a farm , much better now , altough he is not mating enough and is even hiding behind the ladies if there is only a cat ! so he is a scarycat lol but lately doesn't mate enough or better like almost not at all , just found out why .
He used to have his free range and now his wings are clipped ( after having him borrowed to people who wanted chicks that is how he returned ) so he tries but gives up right away as he notices he can't jump that high anymore , hopefully the wing is grown back fast

Back
Top Bottom