Can I feed corn?

Quote:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

This is NOT correct. Corn does not produce extra heat, it is a highly digestible feed that is easily metabolized by the chicken.

"Heat" is produced by high fiber ingredients that result in fermentation in the GI Tract.

Jim

Quote:
sounds great, then. corn on the menu.
smile.png

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:

This is NOT correct. Corn does not produce extra heat, it is a highly digestible feed that is easily metabolized by the chicken.

"Heat" is produced by high fiber ingredients that result in fermentation in the GI Tract.

Jim

I beg to differ thank you
wink.png
Corn is hard to digest ...it takes more energy and creates higher body temps which is not a good thing in summer time weather.....​

Last edited:
You are really feeding them a low calorie/low protein diet with all the fruit and lettuce. Corn won't boost the protein level much but it should help with their hunger for some calories.

Expect slower growth from those chicks.

Steve

Quote:

Jim

I beg to differ thank you
wink.png

Please don't get me wrong but where is the science? Is this tradition that has been passed on or does it have basis in research and where is the research.

Oh please...my chickesn love corn...it is the first thing they eat out of their scratch.....cracked corn...would be like crack
smile.png
for chickens. this is the majority of the grain in most feeds. Not a complete diet...but if it's only for a few days they'll be fine...add some cheese and they'll love you forever
smile.png
you'll have junkies in no time...and won't ever eat the other grains in the future
smile.png
my chickens actually attacked the old fallen corn from the dead stalks....the heat most people talk about is for larger beasts like horses....My babes are a little less exploratory...but I see them eat what they need...then they move on to the next craving. Ese has determined the millet is laced with saltpeter...and refuses to even acknowledge it's presence....his manliness is next to godliness and must be protected at all costs
smile.png

Quote:
i don't have any strong opinion about corn vs. not-corn (especially since, in my climate, heat is generally a welcome thing), but i have two observations to make:

the first is that "my chickens love corn" isn't really a good indication of whether it's good for them to eat, just as, using your metaphor, crack isn't good for people, but addicts sure do crave it.

the second is that scratch itself is not a complete feed and therefore that's a bad comparison to make. scratch is a supplement or a treat. this is straight from the purina mills website (we don't have purina where i am, but blue seal doesn't make scratch as far as i know):

Note that Scratch Grains is a grain supplement, not a complete feed. If too much is fed, it will dilute the feed intake of complete feeds such as Start & Grow
00ae.png
, Layena
00ae.png
and Flock Raiser
00ae.png
, reducing the bird’s nutritional intake and overall performance. Purina Mills
00ae.png
Scratch Grains SunFresh
00ae.png
Grains should not comprise more than 10% of the birds’ overall diet.

also, this is just my very humble opinion, but i find that beginning a post with that type of dismissive speech just makes people resistant to the point you make afterward.

Ok, I bought some starter/grower!
I didn't really want this to be a war between to feed it or not to feed it. I just wanted to find out if I could feed it.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom