Can I feed layer feed to game hens?

FluffySilkie

Songster
Sep 11, 2020
I have what I think are American game hens but I am not certain... I was wondering if I can feed purina omega-3 layer feed to them??? I’ve been reading and reading but cannot find anything.:caf

7C013F0C-0CAD-4AAE-B34A-2C8D302B1786.jpeg
DDDEC882-9996-4D17-84E7-5A37BECE07B3.jpeg
812BFD77-B1CE-4B77-9D4D-70CE7D56F29E.jpeg

Once they start laying they will need extra calcium. Though many game bird breeders I know simply supply their hens with customized grain mix with oyster shells free choice. Game hens are seasonal layers and usually stop laying when winter arrives thus they do not need the calcium requirements of super-charged layer breeds.

Once they start laying they will need extra calcium. Though many game bird breeders I know simply supply their hens with customized grain mix with oyster shells free choice. Game hens are seasonal layers and usually stop laying when winter arrives thus they do not need the calcium requirements of super-charged layer breeds.
but is it ok to feed them layer feed? I’m leaning towards this one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-layena-plus-omega-3-poultry-feed-40-lb?cm_vc=-10005

If you have any complete feed recommendations please share they are about to start outgrowing their chick starter.

I will check the calendar when I get the chance... I have their hatch days marked, they are fairly young, but I do know they hatched in January.

11 weeks 6 days

but is it ok to feed them layer feed? I’m leaning towards this one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-layena-plus-omega-3-poultry-feed-40-lb?cm_vc=-10005

If you have any complete feed recommendations please share they are about to start outgrowing their chick starter.
I would wait to feed layer feed until they come into lay. Keep them on chick starter or an all flock.
As mentioned, Gamefowl are not prolific layers, they will lay a clutch of eggs and then want to sit. They normally do not lay through winter like first year layer pullets either. Just something to consider.
I feed my Gamefowl and laying hens an all flock feed year round and just provide oyster shell free choice. I have roosters, so personally don't want them to have all the extra calcium that is in layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom