Can I feed liquid medication from the side of the beak?

frizzyfizz

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2019
Australia
Hi everyone,

I’m not confident of feeding liquid medication by forcing the syringe down their throat.

Is it ok to slowly drop by drop and dab it on it’s side of the beak (right side) and let her slowly drink it in herself?

What medication are you administering?

Vitamins, and electrolytes I may do that, but with medication where you want a specific dose, it's best to directly administer it into their mouth, as by just dripping it along there beak, there's a decent chance a good portion of the medicine will fall out of their mouth.

Administering into their mouth is not as hard as it looks. For the birds here, I grab them, wrap them in a towel if needed to prevent wing flapping, and either pull down their wattles or pinch the corners of their mouth which will get them to open their beak. Insert the syringe (1ml works best), into the right side of their mouth, and slowly pull the plunger. After the medication is out, pull the syringe out, and let them get everything down themselves.

Here is a good link on administering medications to poultry :

1603823778060.png

Avoid the hole in the middle, as that is the trachea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

What medication are you administering?

Vitamins, and electrolytes I may do that, but with medication where you want a specific dose, it's best to directly administer it into their mouth, as by just dripping it along there beak, there's a decent chance a good portion of the medicine will fall out of their mouth.

Administering into their mouth is not as hard as it looks. For the birds here, I grab them, wrap them in a towel if needed to prevent wing flapping, and either pull down their wattles or pinch the corners of their mouth which will get them to open their beak. Insert the syringe (1ml works best), into the right side of their mouth, and slowly pull the plunger. After the medication is out, pull the syringe out, and let them get everything down themselves.

Here is a good link on administering medications to poultry :

View attachment 2389315

Avoid the hole in the middle, as that is the trachea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

thank you.
I’m not sure why the hole is so deep in her throat and quite difficult to make sure my syringe is ag the side.
And she does not do any swallowing action after I inject the medication in. Am I doing it wrong? Am super worried.

thank you.
I’m not sure why the hole is so deep in her throat and quite difficult to make sure my syringe is ag the side.
And she does not do any swallowing action after I inject the medication in. Am I doing it wrong? Am super worried.

What size of syringe are you using, 3ml, 6ml, etc? Could you answer the previous question, what are you giving her?

A 1ml syringe works best for administering oral medications, due to its slender long shape. Depends on how much you're administering if she'll make swallowing motions or not.

If after you give her the fluids, and she doesn't start wheezing, or shaking her head it's very likely you got it down the right hole.

Yep, 1ml syringe.
Am giving her Meloxicam and Tramadol and Clavamox (Crushed tablet and mixed in water)

All the dosage are between 0.2ml to 0.8ml.

Yep, 1ml syringe.
Am giving her Meloxicam and Tramadol and Clavamox (Crushed tablet and mixed in water)

All the dosage are between 0.2ml to 0.8ml.

Open her mouth, guide the syringe along the very right part of her mouth, and squeeze the plunger. Unless you stick the syringe straight into her mouth, and aim for the trachea it's unlikely you'll get fluids in there.

If you're unable to properly give her oral medications, you may want to have your vet show you how to do it properly.

Back
Top Bottom