Can I feed my 10 weeks old chickens layer feed and cracked corn?

Can I feed my 10 weeks old chickens layer feed and cracked corn?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

No, aside from the excess calcium in layer it is also deficient in protein and amino acids for a growing bird.

Cracked corn is also low in protein (7%) and amino acids... which would diminish the layer nutrients even further. Formulated rations have the added amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that make them a complete feed.

Both those issues (low protein and excess calcium) could delay development and onset of laying.

The excess calcium fed long term to birds NOT in lay.. COULD (doesn't mean will) even cause issues like gout, kidney failure, and even sudden death.

EVERYTHING immune system related.. fighting off internal/external parasites, illness, disease, predation.. etc STARTS with good nutrition, not diminished by excess treats. Buying cheaper feed does not improve our bottom line.. according to my experience.

Cracked corn is okay as a treat and should not be fed at more than 10% of the total daily intake.

Since I have multiple aged/gender birds.. I use a flock raiser.. (20% protein) and offer oyster shell free choice on the side for active layers. Young chicks sample but don't over indulge.

Starter, flock raiser, meat bird, grower, finisher, layer, all flock, breeder, etc.. doesn't matter what they call it.. the main difference is protein and calcium content followed by amino acids which can be found on the guaranteed analysis often a sewn tag on the bottom of the bag, sometimes printed on the back. ALL of them are labeled for the species and age they appropriate to be feed to.. by law in the US.

Sure, you can feed those things.. but it won't benefit the chicks and could harm them. Glad you asked, because I have been given lots of very bad information by well meaning people, hope this helps! :fl

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their most relevant suggestions possible. :)

Back
Top Bottom