Can I feed my chickens peanut shells?

BigBossPants

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
My partner eats a lot of peanuts in the shell, and I'm constantly filling the bin with the external shells. Is this something the chickens can have?

Depending upon your partners consumption, the shells might be an addition to bedding, but they contain little to no nutritional value for chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
Edited to say Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
I didn't think they would be terribly nutritious, but using them as bedding sounds like a plan. I was mainly worried that they could be toxic :) Thanks for that

Not sure if they did this before the styrofoam "peanuts", but the shells would make a decent packaging filler/cushion. I don't know I'd ship 6 jars of homemade tomato sauce with them, but less fragile things it would probably work great for. Reusable/compostable.

I boiled a bunch of peanuts a while back and figured my animals would love the soft soggy shells.
The chickens turned their noses up at them and the horse sniffed at them, pinned her ears and turned around and kicked the crap outa me.
So I dumped them under the quail cages to become part of my world famous quail poop compost.

Do not use it as a bedding, thats ridiculous. If you have a paper shredder, you can use the paper shreds has a bed, it's one of the most common things, that's what I do to my chickens. Yes, you can feed them peanut shells, chickens eat many things. You should crush them and mix it with other foods. If you have bags of straw, that could also be a bed. It's more common than paper shreds and anything, you can find the bags in Ace. (These are not pictures of my coop, I thought they were good examples.)
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom