Can I feed my chickens peanut shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BigBossPants, Jan 8, 2015.

1. BigBossPants

BigBossPants New Egg

Jan 8, 2015
    My partner eats a lot of peanuts in the shell, and I'm constantly filling the bin with the external shells. Is this something the chickens can have?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depending upon your partners consumption, the shells might be an addition to bedding, but they contain little to no nutritional value for chickens.

[​IMG] Edited to say Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. BigBossPants

BigBossPants New Egg

Jan 8, 2015
    I didn't think they would be terribly nutritious, but using them as bedding sounds like a plan. I was mainly worried that they could be toxic :) Thanks for that

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I throw them in the deep litter run all the time.

I'm not sure they eat them, but never had issue.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Peanut shells, not so much, but peanuts are a whole 'nother ball game. They'll eat the peanuts until the cows come home.

6. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Not sure if they did this before the styrofoam "peanuts", but the shells would make a decent packaging filler/cushion. I don't know I'd ship 6 jars of homemade tomato sauce with them, but less fragile things it would probably work great for. Reusable/compostable.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I boiled a bunch of peanuts a while back and figured my animals would love the soft soggy shells.
    The chickens turned their noses up at them and the horse sniffed at them, pinned her ears and turned around and kicked the crap outa me.
    So I dumped them under the quail cages to become part of my world famous quail poop compost.

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

9. Madviolin

Madviolin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Really? my chickens wont eat peanuts for some reason...

10. Do not use it as a bedding, thats ridiculous. If you have a paper shredder, you can use the paper shreds has a bed, it's one of the most common things, that's what I do to my chickens. Yes, you can feed them peanut shells, chickens eat many things. You should crush them and mix it with other foods. If you have bags of straw, that could also be a bed. It's more common than paper shreds and anything, you can find the bags in Ace. (These are not pictures of my coop, I thought they were good examples.)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by