Can I feed my chickens table scraps with sauces?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Skatedude53, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Skatedude53

Skatedude53 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Oceanside, California
    I have some salad but it has dressing in it. Is it ok to give to them? It's a blue cheese vinigerette

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    As long as it's more salad than dressing, it's likely fine. It's good to avoid things that are overly salty or fatty but otherwise, most stuff is fine and much appreciated ;)

3. Skatedude53

Skatedude53 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Oceanside, California
    What about apple seeds?

4. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    They're mildly toxic, so best to remove the seeds before giving them the fruit.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they'd have to eat pounds and pounds of apple seeds before having any ill effects. I give my birds all the scraps---cores and peels--from making applesauce. My son eats at least one apple a day and the cores always go to the flock. No problems.

6. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbour had some leftover salad the other day and asked if the chooks wanted it. I said they probably wouldn't eat the lettuce but tipped it on the lawn for them to have a go at. Turns out my new girls love lettuce, or else they love the dressing, they ate the lot. But the oil from the dressing killed a patch of grass. Of course if I cared what the lawn looked like I wouldn't have a flock of chickens roaming about on it.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How flippin' much dressing does your neighbor put on a salad? [​IMG]

8. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

She is from Greece. Lots of olive oil. The chooks like it. [​IMG]

9. MsBrenda

MsBrenda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Birnamwood, Wi
    If the oil dressing had vinegar in it, that is what most likely killed the grass. I use vinegar to kill weeds and grass and it works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by