1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can i feed my chickens whole corn????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peapatch, Mar 20, 2010.

1. peapatch

peapatch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I need to know if i can feed my chickens whole dry field corn???? Are they able to digest it????
    My husband came home with a bunch of dry field corn from the railroad tracks that a railcar dumped on the ground.
    It's clean.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes....they need grit or access to dirt and rocks and such

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

You can but don't feed them corn exclusively. It should be an extra; treat or supplement.

4. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    My grandmother used to free range her chickens all day and in the evening she would break the kernels off of a couple of ears of corn and throw it out in the area around the chicken house to call the chickens up so she could close them up for the night. I never saw her feed them anything else except the occasional vegetable/fruit peels when there were no hogs to feed. She always had eggs (only picked up what she needed) and chickens to butcher for Sunday dinner. I think some people go overboard in what they think chickens have to have! IMHO

5. Keg

Keg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    I wish trains dropped chicken feed past my place! [​IMG]

i have no access to the stuff you guys call "scratch" where I am, so I buy large wild bird seed. It has the odd whole corn kernel in it. One of my chickens has quite a fondness of them, doesn't seem to harm her. Mind you she'd only get 4 or 5 kernels a day, at a guess.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    As a supplement or treat, sure. Not as a sole food.

My birds go through about four hundred pounds of it a month.

.....Alan.

7. Hambone

Hambone Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Union, KY
    If they have problems eating the dried whole corn you can soak it in a 5 gallon bucket of water over night and then give them some.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Yes! I live about 1/4 mile from 2 feed mills and I go over in the evenings and get the fresh milled corn and grain that has overflowed from the trucks. It REALLY cuts down on my feed bill!

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Lucky! [​IMG]

10. peapatch

peapatch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    thanks sooooo much for answering my question thanks again:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by