Can I feed my chicks yogurt, fresh whey, hen scratch and fruit?? at what age can they have these add

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by craftydrae, Oct 25, 2012.

1. craftydrae

craftydrae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    salt spring island b.c
    [​IMG]I just hatched nine chicks four days ago and wanted to know when can I add fresh whey, yogurt, fruits and veggies along with hen scracth to their diets? My grown up flock along with our ducks get these treats added to their feed every week. Thank you. :) My chicks are all heritage breeds. Nice and hardy.

[​IMG]

2. Well if they have acess to grit (you can get a big thing of finch / cockatiel grit from Petco easily) then you can give it to them now. you can give them yogurt w/o grit I'd imagine :)

1 person likes this.
  3. craftydrae

craftydrae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    salt spring island b.c
    That sounds like a good idea! We live on a Golf Island so there is no pet stores here other then our farm store FoxGlove which should have grit. I make yogurt from scratch for my flock once a week so I will give it a try. At how many weeks can I give them bananas, mixed produce ect? All my hens go nuts for bananas.. they line up at the gate! lol
    Andrea.

4. I would say around 3 weeks plus, but whenever we had leftovers (pasta usually) we would give it to them when they were 2 weeks, so bananas and other soft fruits would be fine

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by