Can I feed starter/grower feed to a baby chick? **PIC**

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
I bought a bag of starter/grower feed at the end of December, but then they all started laying in mid January, so I switched to layer feed and I still have the older bag leftover.

A chick hatched on Tuesday (picture below) and I was wondering if I could feed it that starter/grower feed. It's not medicated either...do you think that matters. I raised all the others on medicated so I feel I should do the same with this one. Isn't she cuuuuttttte?
jumpy.gif

65913_chickens_019.jpg

Last edited:
Has the bag been opened? Even if it hasn't some people have said you should be careful about old food. I would buy a fresh bag just to be on the safe side. And yes, she is cute!
thumbsup.gif

Sorry I misunderstood something! I would not feed grower, I think the chick starter is best. It has the right amount of protien!

Starter/grower feed is perfect for baby chicks (not grower). Grower feed is for older ones. If yours says "starter/grower" then it is fine.

I would feed it if it has been PERFECTLY dry and bug-free. I would smell it and inspect for clumping or any sign of bad feed.

If it was in perfect condition (and especially since it is over the winter, not summer), then I would feed it. I have chicks right now that aren't on medicated starter/grower, and they are fine- 4 weeks old.

Whether to use medicated starter/grower is a controversial subject. I have had coccidiosis in my flock when they were young (my other flock), and I had just removed them from the medicated feed at the time.

But I am not having any problems currently with no medicated feed.

First grab a handfull and taste it to see if its still good.
lau.gif

J/K. Smell it and check to see if its past its expiration date.If it seems good,use it,but side with caution.
idunno.gif

I see a large bird in the pic...Is that chick in with it's mother? If so, let both her and the chick eat the starter/grower. The chick will get it's immunities from nibbling on mommy's poo.

Quote:
yes, that's mommy (not the real mommy, just the broody mommy...she's an EE and I gave her brahma eggs to hatch)

But, that's sounds great that she can get the immunities from the poo (yum)

I've had the starter/grower feed in a closed galvanized container in my kitchen since I got it, but the bag is open inside. I will check the expiration date, smell and taste it
wink.png
to make sure it's good.

Last edited:
Quote:
yes, that's mommy (not the real mommy, just the broody mommy...she's an EE and I gave her brahma eggs to hatch)

But, that's sounds great that she can get the immunities from the poo (yum)

I've had the starter/grower feed in a closed galvanized container in my kitchen since I got it, but the bag is open inside. I will check the expiration date, smell and taste it
wink.png
to make sure it's good.

So, what does chicken feed taste like?
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom