Can I feed the pulp from the juicer?

I kind of wonder how much nutritional value the pulp has after you've squeezed the juice out. I use a manual, masticating (wheatgrass technically, but it handles just about everything) juicer so it's still pretty moist, but I'm not sure I'd make food for the family out of it.

I have a Hurom juicer. Love it. My hens gobble it up too. I have a little lemon in my juice & am wondering if it will hurt them. It's a very small amount compared to all the other veggies & fruit in the juice. Also, will a little ginger hurt them?? If so, I will add last & remove the other pulp.

How long do you have to wait to give them the pulp? my girls are 2.5 weeks old. They are already scratching at cut up weeds, clumps of dirt and herbs we give them from the yard. I too juice every day!

I kind of wonder how much nutritional value the pulp has after you've squeezed the juice out. I use a manual, masticating (wheatgrass technically, but it handles just about everything) juicer so it's still pretty moist, but I'm not sure I'd make food for the family out of it.

I agree - most of the nutrition is in your glass. Left with a bunch of fiber.

I use an omega vsj843q. It is the best! Very slow rpms (43) and very dry pulp. Easy to clean and very fine screen, no need to run through additional filter and hardly any foam

!

I'm not planning on trying this until my chicks are 8 weeks old. We JUICE here! (No I'm not going to be one of THOSE Juice People) Carrots, apples, celery for the most part. But I always feel like such a wastrel when throwing away all that pulp that the juicer has ground up. Can I eventually feed that to my chickens? It's ground very tiny almost to a flour consistency when done, and I was thinking I might use it eventually as a mash for mornings perhaps?

I just feel so guilty throwing out about a gallon of pulp in the garbage twice a week.
sad.png

I thank God for BYC. I raised chickens a long time ago when I lived in Michigan. However I now live in Central Florida and it's a different animal here doing anything. So I feel blessed to have found all of this knowledge here with all you lovely people.

Giving fruit and vegetable pulp to chickens at any age is a good thing, but if they're gorging themselves on it they may not be eating enough of their other foods and thus may not get adequate protein intake. Too much pulp might slow the growth of baby birds who are still growing, and may reduce the laying rate of adult hens.

Feed in moderation and it's great! My almost 3-month-old silkies go bonkers when I plop a few tablespoons of zucchini pulp down for them. Even if they've just eaten that pulp is gone fast! I don't know how they fit so much in their crops. The crop seems like a bottomless sack sometimes.

I'm not planning on trying this until my chicks are 8 weeks old. We JUICE here! (No I'm not going to be one of THOSE Juice People) Carrots, apples, celery for the most part. But I always feel like such a wastrel when throwing away all that pulp that the juicer has ground up. Can I eventually feed that to my chickens? It's ground very tiny almost to a flour consistency when done, and I was thinking I might use it eventually as a mash for mornings perhaps?

I just feel so guilty throwing out about a gallon of pulp in the garbage twice a week.
sad.png

I thank God for BYC. I raised chickens a long time ago when I lived in Michigan. However I now live in Central Florida and it's a different animal here doing anything. So I feel blessed to have found all of this knowledge here with all you lovely people.

If the juice, enzymes and nutrients are gone into the juice, why the fiber for the chickens?? What nutrition is left? How about putting it in the compost and let it help 'grow worms', too. The chickens would like poking through that!

Back
Top Bottom