Can I feed the pulp from the juicer?

I gave the chickens carrot/strawberry pulp in an orange rind this morning...we'll see if they eat it. BTW I use a manual wheatgrass juicer for everything and it works fine. A little more elbow grease is needed, but I'm OK with that since what I'm looking for is low RPMs to reduce nutrient oxidation.

My girls don't seem too impressed with "juice-day"...? I don't get it? Carrots, apples, celery, cukes, beets and grapes, strawberries, or blueberries - which ever are on sale. So, what's not to love? Please help!!!

I sometimes use it in muffins. I just cut out the apple cores as I put them in
Figure like you it's too good to waste :)

I have discovered that if they don't like it, its because they wont try it..lol And its usually the ducks who turn their noses up at it first. lol

I have started putting ''scraps'' in with their feed. At first they didn't like watermelon or even cucumbers, so I added it in with their regular feed, now if I go out there with the ''scrap'' bucket (its a Tupperware bowl I keep in the fridge) they are literally hopping over each other to see what I have for them.

If they turn their nose up at something new, again I just throw it in their feed and by the next time they are more open to the idea of it and usually love it.

I am new to the juicing thing, I have a black and decker juicer to start with. If I like the whole juicing thing then I will invest in a better one but so far this one rips and roars away :)

Tomorrow they get to try a green goddess pulp with some extra shredded cabbage.

By all means feed it to your chickens, but personally I would keep it for yourself and use it! If you also have a blender, you can throw all the good veggie/fruit pulp into some delicious smoothies or use it for baking. Nothing goes to waste around here.

~ Aspen

so i am very glad to find out that i can use the pulp from my juicing for my chicky-girls!! i will just have to remember to juice the lemon by itself so they don't get any!! or will it be ok? i'm afraid to give them something that is bad for them!!! but i would love not to compost the pulp if the girls will eat it!!!

Back
Top Bottom