Can I feed them dried mealworms?

Quote:
I don't quarrel with you or the facts and figures, but if that analysis is based on weight, then removing water (about 75%) of the weight should send those numbers up by about 75%.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of feeding meal worms in general. Also their fat content is way off the scale for most game birds IMHO. Except for occasional treats and such, but I don't even recommend that.

Quote:
The Scaled,Gambles,Valley's and even Bobs actually do better on a 20% protein once they are grown, anything over that and it goes directly on the ground

This is a bit of an apples and oranges argument. If you have good luck with your current setup then I'm not going to question it. There are many different (Quail) species, as well as different production models in play. If a particular species, and feeding model works, then please stick with it. Particular feed blends have particular protein contents, and can vary from brand to brand. Trying to micro manage protein levels with off the shelf products is difficult at best.
If you are having your feed custom milled, then tweak your blend as you see fit, but if you are buying your feed off the shelf, then buy the highest protein GBS you can get.

Also, if you are following the directions on the back of the game bird feed bag...It's really for pheasants, not quail. I'm only familiar with 3 species of quail, in this order...Coturnix, Button/cbbq, Bobwhite. None of which has died on my watch due to eating to much protein!
In a particular model, is 30% protein way more than needed? Yes, but it doesn't hurt (Quail) and can even save them from ice burgh lettuce, over feeding oyster shell, and chicken scratch feed.
Just my opinion...I welcome anyone else's.....

Back
Top Bottom