Can I feed them Farina?

Nuggetsowner:)

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Minnesota
I have a box of Farina in my cupboard that has been there since my son was very young. I think it is still good - no bugs in it or that kind of thing. Its just that no one will eat it! I hate to throw away food and so I was wondering...can I give it to the chickens? Should I give it to them dry or mix it up? Any advice would be appreciated.

Farina is a cereal that is kind of like Malt-O-Meal Crem of Wheat that is often fed to children as a first food. I hope you all know what I am talking about because I don't know how else to describe it!

roosmom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
upper peninsula
Nuggetsowner, I had a friend give me some Farina. I personally dont like it so I fed it to my chickies. That was a month and a half ago. They are all still fine. I mixed dried eggs with it, oatmeal with it and instant mashed potatoes with it, and I mixed yogurt with it, AND I gave it to them plain. They will love it.

65browneyes

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
Arizona
I have used the Farina for my flock. Particularly in the winter months when the temps are down (not that they get that low here). I actually cook it (yes, as I tell my kids and DH, I cook breakfast for my chickens, but not my family! LOL). They really enjoy the nice, warm treat on a cold morning.

rughooker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Deerfield,Ohio n.e. Ohio
Quote:
I made my silkies and cochins oatmeal one morning and mixed in some yogurt. All of them walked in it. I think they thought it was a chickie spa for dried,cracked feet!! They wouldn't eat it. Should I try it again?
idunno.gif
wee.gif

65browneyes

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
Arizona
Seems as though I put yogurt in it once for my girls and they wouldn't eat it either. Might try again if you'd like. I didn't put any salt or anything in mine last winter. Just plain ole warm oatmeal on a cold morning.

rughooker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Deerfield,Ohio n.e. Ohio
Quote:
I made them oatmeal this morning and put blueberries in it. Out of 21 chickens, there were only 3 that didn't eat it! These are my oldest ( about 8 yrs.) My silkies were standing in it gulping it down. One little one sounded like she was growling at the others!!
lau.gif

cmom

Hilltop Farm
13 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Nuggetsowner:) :

I have a box of Farina in my cupboard that has been there since my son was very young. I think it is still good - no bugs in it or that kind of thing. Its just that no one will eat it! I hate to throw away food and so I was wondering...can I give it to the chickens? Should I give it to them dry or mix it up? Any advice would be appreciated.

Farina is a cereal that is kind of like Malt-O-Meal Crem of Wheat that is often fed to children as a first food. I hope you all know what I am talking about because I don't know how else to describe it!

Try it. If they don't like it, they won't eat it.​

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom