Can I feed them scallops?

cotterboy2381

Hatching
8 Years
May 7, 2011
It is scallop season here in N. Florida and I was wondering if I could feed my chickens the scallop leftovers (guts) and the shells if I crush them up. and if so how much crushing do I need to do? For those who aren't familiar to scallops the are similar to and oyster or clam. here they only keep the abductor muscle and discard the rest of the slimy stuff. the shells are a lot thinner than an oyster or clam.
So there it is, can I feed this discarded goodness to them? Thanks for the help.

The Beeches

I say it's fine, as long as you don't leave it out in the heat too long. And I'd say scallop shells are okay, too. I opened up a gizzard in a roo we slaughtered 3 weeks ago, and there was a screw in there. He sure wasn't feeling any ill effects from it either.... I'd put 'em in a sack and run over them, or bake 'em to dry them out good and beat 'em with a hammer...

I would absolutely give it to them! Talk about high quality protein, plus some good fat, healthy cariledge and glucosamine. I'd think the calcium from the shells might be more palatable than the big chunks of oyster shell, too. Just crush them up about the size of oyster shells. You're very lucky.
I'd give any and all seafood and fish scraps to the chickens, then compost any leftovers that they don't eat for the garden.

Back
Top Bottom