Can I feed them...

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Elephant ears canna and morning glory vine?
Its about that time of year where I need to cut my elephant ears and canna down.
My MG is going to be down in the next month Im thinking.

What do you guys think?

personally don't know if it is okay for them or not.......someone with more experience will come along and answer.

What I can say is all 7 of mine are still alive and they ate ALL of my hostas and cannas today.........someone
roll.png
wasn't paying attention and they got into my shade garden
barnie.gif

Ohh I forgot about morning glory seeds..
Ill just throw them in the fire pit.
But canna and elephant ears?
I guess Ill as on my gardening forum.

Probably OK, but if it is all the same you might just compost them to be sure. I've fed some calla lillies with no bad effects...

What I have found is they will eat about anything, and if they dont like it they wont, typically they wont eat anything that doesnt sit well with them. of course that may just be my chickens, ducks, and turkeys.

NO on the elephant ears. If they bite into a leaf they will end up with many many little tiny spines in their mouths, crop, etc. While this most likely won't kill them it will be extremely unpleasant and may keep them from wanting to eat for a few days.

Hello- new to the site, new to chickens, but gardening I know!

NO MORNING GLORY!! I suggest you wear gloves when you handle it, and don't put it in the compost bin- you will end up with morning glory growing in the bin and then in your garden where you don't want it.

The ipoema (morning glory) plant has an hallucinogenic property in it, similar to LSD. It can give humans a nasty headache from handling the vines. I can just imagine those poor chickens if they eat it- What to chickens 'trip' on anyways?
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom