Can I feed this to my chickens?

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I brought in a sugar pumpkin that was not fully ripe, to allow it to ripen, indoors. But, I've discovered that it has a small, soft spot, and know it won't last. Can I give this under-ripe pumpkin to my girls, as a treat?

received_5579783925480103.jpeg

Sure, feed it to your chickens. If the soft spot isn't moldy, it's just got more sugars in it and will be sweeter than the rest. The pumpkin is ripe enough to eat. I raise squash of all kinds each summer for my chickens, and I store them under my house over winter. Squash will keep for six to ten months if the temperature is no higher than 50F.

I use a saw to cut the squash in half. Save a few of the seeds, dry them out, and plant them in your yard come next spring. Then you'll have a whole lot of free pumpkins for your chickens next year at this time. At $5 a pumpkin, save those free seeds and grow your own. It's easy and fun.

Sure, feed it to your chickens. If the soft spot isn't moldy, it's just got more sugars in it and will be sweeter than the rest. The pumpkin is ripe enough to eat. I raise squash of all kinds each summer for my chickens, and I store them under my house over winter. Squash will keep for six to ten months if the temperature is no higher than 50F.

I use a saw to cut the squash in half. Save a few of the seeds, dry them out, and plant them in your yard come next spring. Then you'll have a whole lot of free pumpkins for your chickens next year at this time. At $5 a pumpkin, save those free seeds and grow your own. It's easy and fun.
Thank you, will do!

That’s brilliant! Now to keep hubby from roasting them…

Back
Top Bottom